Up in the Air:Running proves valuable pastime, learning experience for CHS senior

I was a classic bench warmer throughout elementary school soccer and basketball games. I tried, but always performed faulty passes and failed to bring the ball down the court or field. On Clayton Recreational Leagues, my ball never entered into the hoop. Supposedly, I was good at defense.
I started running by default and entered into my relationship as a runner quite timidly at first. My love affair with running was driven by my intense fear of being smacked by an airborne basketball. Running provided the ideal means to being involved in a ball-free activity. So, as a freshman I joined cross country.

Senior Simone Berstein valiantly pushes up an incline in the State finals. She placed 8th in the qualifying race and not only ran for Clayton High School, but herself. (Jake Bernstein)

Track and cross country are two different sports united by the common thread of running. Through these sports, I discovered what I am willing to sacrifice and what I can tolerate. No, I did not choose these two sports because I was a talented runner, since there is frankly nothing special or unique about my running capabilities. I was just willing to run the distance.
Running is not just about my results or my team’s outcome. I value that, but when I run, I run for myself. Success does not lie in the results, but in the resilient individual that demonstrates drive, motivation, and commitment.
I always find it interesting when people ask me if I enjoy running. Do I like to run? No. Do I enjoy the sport of running? Some days I do. I make running a habit, like brushing my teeth. I usually run twice a day, but sometimes only once.
My 15 pairs of overpriced and worn running shoes have hit the pavement hard and steady over the past seven years. My aching knees have given in to the harsh realities of running: it hurts. My daily runs are like a blank computer screen; each day is an opportunity to explore a new route. I run through a myriad of neighborhoods. I relish when I can alter my running course and explore new routes in my town and neighboring communities.
There are times when my exhausted legs ache and just want to give out, but I know I have to push myself to return home.
What have I learned from crossing the finish line? I now know how to treat heat exhaustion, care for the dreaded shin splints, motivate my teammates, and aim to create fun and enjoyable practices as team captain, along with appreciating the multiple benefits of water.
In a runner’s world, water is the cure. Ice legs with shin splints, drink room temperature water for heat exhaustion, run through the sprinklers in the yards of homes along the routes, and use the water from unused water bottles for team splashing. Water is a runner’s necessity.
Running is a lifetime sport. Although the cross country season is over, I’ll continue to pound the asphalt on a regular basis, or at least until my knees give out. Luckily, running has kept me from warming the team bench, since there is no bench; every team member runs.
Running is the perfect sport; no balls, and a no-cut policy. Sometimes a fear of being whacked with a soccer ball comes in handy, but I have no fear of being hit by a cool refreshing water balloon after a long run in the stifling and steamy St. Louis summers.
This past week the CHS girls’ cross country team qualified and competed for the state finals. The last time our team went to state was in 1997. It was quite an honor. Although, we did not expect to place with the top schools, we were pleased that our team finished the course. It is not just about results, running is a process and a commitment to cross the finish line.