January Staff Editorial (Depression)

Insecurities are all around Clayton High School. Students are concerned with body image and keeping up with the newest trends. Though some of these emotions are common teenage worries, others are not.

(Globe archives) When does a person go from having typical high school worries to something more serious? When does it develop into depression?

It is impossible to cure depression without truly knowing what it is. And before it can be helped, the problem must be identified.

The Centers for Disease Control says that around one in every 10 Americans are depressed. If this statistic holds true, that means that in every classroom of 20 students, two are suffering from depression.

Depression can range from self inflicted pain or having suicidal thoughts to just feeling sad. In some people’s cases, it is almost impossible to tell that they are depressed. In fact, many people suffering look and act just like their peers. No matter how much laughter, happiness or self confidence they display, only the individual knows how they are really feeling.

Though one in 10 people are said to have depression, there is no telling how many more cases are unknown. This has to change.

Depression is not something to be ashamed of. If a person is dealing with these emotions, it is important for them to realize that they will not be thought less of for confiding in someone else.

This responsibility goes two ways. Any friend, family member or doctor needs to be prepared to listen. Serious problems cannot be shrugged off.

Even if a friend presents an issue that seems normal, it may not be. Listen. Sympathize. If the person needs help, tell their parents or another trusted adult. By doing this, it can bring the person one step closer to getting the help that they need.

In this edition of the Globe, the cover story discusses the issue of depression. Students opened up about their experiences and the struggles they have endured, and the story looks into the medical perspective of the illness.

The Globe’s goal is not to solve the problem, but to identify it. There is no way to cure every case of depression, but simply being more educated about the subject, knowing the signs and what to do about them, can make a huge difference to a struggling individual.

Depression is not clear cut. We don’t always know how another is feeling. So we all must be ready to listen, talk and play the necessary role in making life for everyone a little bit brighter.