Q&A with Sheila Cohen

How long have you been a substitute teacher?
This was my 21st year. I was a permanent building sub at Ladue before coming to Clayton.
How long have you worked at CHS?
This will be my 8th year with Clayton
Did you have any major jobs before becoming a substitute teacher?
My major job was being a full-time [English] teacher, but I have done a lot of part time jobs. I have worked in sales.
What is your favorite class to sub for and why?
I
really like subbing for English because I feel the most comfortable and confident, I know the material pretty well.
What is the typical day for you?
Well, that’s a hard question because there’s never really a typical day. I don’t usually know what I’m doing until I get to work. I have learned that one of the most important things is to follow a teacher’s lesson plan, since they really don’t like when you stray from the plan. Sometimes, when I’m subbing for an English class, and the teacher know it’s me, they’ll give me a little more freedom to teach the students. Occasionally, though this doesn’t happen very often, I can teach in two different subject areas in one day. That can be interesting, running all over the building. I get to wear a lot of different hats, as they say.
What are some of your hobbies?
I love to read books, I love to travel. I exercise, mainly by walking. I try to walk a lot. I have four grandchildren I try to be with, and I like to cook. I like to go to movies and plays.
What are some of your favorite things about being a sub?
It’s really interesting to me, I get to learn along with students. I also get to see students all over the school, to see students with a variety of interests.
Do you have anything else to add?
I love my job, I love teaching high school kids. I have a smile on my face every day on the way to school. I think Clayton is a fabulous place to be. Teachers and students always treat me with a lot of respect and I try to reciprocate.