Elias Commentary

Just over 11 years ago, I remember hearing the news. My younger brother Elias was born; I was in a state of euphoria. I would no longer be the only younger sibling who would have to go to bed earlier, sit in the back seat of the car, and have many other distinct younger sibling disadvantages.

Eleven years later, Elias is more athletic, and will soon, if not already, be stronger, taller and faster than me. Like many other 11 year olds, he loves playing center for his basketball team, playing chess, reading, hiking, skiing, and numerous other activities.
Elias also has autism. When I first was told about autism, I was confused on its implications. I had lots of questions what it would mean for him and me.
Although Elias was diagnosed eight years ago, I definitely know now that he has positively changed my life. Elias has showed me numerous aspects about life: they are much more valuable than anything I could ever teach him.

Everyday Elias calls all my siblings on the phone numerous times to just to make sure that they are having a good day. Elias always focuses on the things that are the most imperative.

Elias has helped me realize that the most important things around me are my relationships with people—and not my relationship with my textbooks.

Autism is a spectrum in which there are many different categories. Luckily, “I see a boat” was the first sentence that Elias uttered after several years of much anxiety. I have seen some families who work with their children for years, and the child is unable to utter many words.

Elias has turned into somebody who loves to talk to everybody. Yet he does not only talk with them, he turns strangers into friends. One distinct example that comes to memory is when we were walking around New York City. Although Elias had been talking to numerous people the entire day, Elias found an older man in the Wall Street area, who was alone. Sure enough, Elias took it upon himself to be this person’s friend. He casually asked this man about his family, hobbies, and his reason in being in New York. The man was teary eyed as his wife had recently passed, but he sincerely thanked Elias for helping him brighten his day.

This was a clear lesson on Elias’ innate desire of friendship, and how it knows no bounds.

It is impossible to communicate all the important lessons that I have learned from my younger brother. Although ironic, I will always look up to him as a role model and friend.