“Girls” season two review

The show “Girls” isn’t for the prude (A person who is or claims to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity—Dictionary.com) but it is for someone who sees pushing limits as inspiring or exciting. And the new HBO show is one of the most daring programs that I’ve ever seen.

“Girls” premiered in April of 2012. The critics raved on the edginess of the characters, and the courageousness of the show’s creators. The show is about four young women in New York City—sound familiar? Many wondered if this would be a show that tried to be better than “Sex and the City,” which was also on HBO. But the only similarities between the two are the number of main women and the place.

Lena Dunham, who stars, writes and directs the show, spoke to “NPR” about the criticism that came out after the show premiered, “I take that criticism very seriously. … This show isn’t supposed to feel exclusionary. It’s supposed to feel honest, and it’s supposed to feel true to many aspects of my experience.” Well if the show is anything like Dunhams experience, then the 25 year old has had one heck of a life.

Before I talk about season two, it will be important to know a general view of season one. Hannah, (Dunham) Marnie, (Allison Williams) Shoshanna, (Zosia Mamet) and Jessa (Jemima Kirke) are all four struggling twenty-something’s in New York City. Hannah has a bad boyfriend, (Adam Driver) she is no longer being financially supported by her parents, and she gets an STD from her ex-boyfriend, who has recently come out. Jessa has a pregnancy scare, goes on an interesting adventure with the father that she babysits for, and quickly marries a man shes known for about two weeks. Marnie breaks up with her boyfriend of four years, (Christopher Abbott) and hits an odd version of rock bottom with her realization of being alone. Finally, Shoshanna, energetic optimistic and the youngest of the four, loses her virginity at the end of the season to Ray. He’s a friend of the two other men on the show, and happens to be the exact opposite of Shoshanna.

Season two starts out where season one left off. Each of the women are a mess in their own way, but never the less are developing even more than before. By now, each character has a spot of their own on the show. Audiences continue to learn about each of their pasts, and continues to speculate about their futures. The writing has somehow gotten even better. Dunham has proved that she’s smart and creative, with lines like, “I have been dating someone who treats my heart like it’s monkey meat. I feel like a delusional, invisible person half the time so I need to learn what it’s like to be treated well before it’s too late for me.” The way the show is filmed is also impressive, with sets right in the middle of New York City.

“Girls” may not be for everyone. It’s audacious and extreme. But it’s also innovative and intelligent. It illustrates what the bottom of the totem pole in New York looks like, and while some will surely think it’s too much, others will be enthralled with the story and characters. So take a chance on it.