Conference Swimming Recap

For most of the Clayton girls’ swimmers, the season ended Friday night at the conference tournament held in Ladue High School. However, for junior Danielle Sikora, the winter sports season will last another week.

Sikora led the Greyhounds at the conference tournament with two top eight finishes, including a second place finish in the 100 yard breaststroke. Sikora also finished in the top eight in the 200 yard individual medley, and helped lead two relays to top eight finishes.

Both of Sikora’s times were under the state cut, and it was the first time she eclipsed the state breaststroke mark this season.

In each individual event, the top sixteen swimmers earn points for their teams. In relays, only the top eight teams score points.

The following swimmers and divers earned top sixteen (eight for relays) finishes for the team, earning the Greyhounds points:

Rebecca Stiffleman (diving), Alex Gabliani (diving), Grace Hartmann (diving), Lilly Kanefield (200 yard medley relay, 400 yard freestyle relay), Danielle Sikora (200 yard medley relay, 200 yard individual medley, 100 yard breaststroke, 400 yard freestyle relay), Lizzie Wolfgram (200 yard medley relay, 100 yard butterfly), Sammy Bale (200 yard medley relay, 50 yard freestyle, 100 yard freestyle, 200 yard freestyle relay, 400 yard freestyle relay), Dani Skor (200 yard freestyle, 500 yard freestyle, 400 yard freestyle relay), Sophie Allen (200 yard freestyle relay), Abbie Kohmetscher (100 yard breaststroke), Dana Schwartz (200 yard freestyle relay).

The team was coached by Katelyn Long with David Kohmetscher as the assistant coach. Hillary Wilson coached the divers.

Sikora will train for another week before competing in the state competition next Friday in the 200 yard individual medley and 100 yard breaststroke.