Clayton EDM Concert

On Friday April 12th, the CHS Commons will be transformed into an electric arena for the first time ever. Clayton High School will be hosting its first ever electronic dance music concert. The concert will feature four CHS juniors: KNGDM (Graham Nickelson), DJ Volve (Eduardo Chagua), DJ Fragrance (Bruce Grossman) and Aplphonic (Addison Leong).

Electronic Dance Music has many different genres such as house, dubstep, electro, techno, moombahton and disco. Electronic Dance Music is made from electronic instruments such as synthesizers, drum machines and sequencers.

Junior Graham Nickelson clarified what exactly the genre is all about.

“Electronic Dance Music isn’t about listening to each song, it’s all about feeling it,” he said. “It’s easiest to feel the music when it’s being blasted and when you have a ton of high energy people surrounding you in a high energy environment. The concert is going to be unbelievable.”

The idea for the concert originated after Addison Leong and Bruce Grossman attempted to DJ the Peppers dance this year, but were told they were not allowed to.

Student Activities Director Mike Nelke proposed that instead, they host a concert in the commons to help raise money for prom. The concert will cost a nominal fee, will only be open to CHS students, and all proceeds will go towards the cost of prom.

The DJs will be set up on the platform where the main staircase in the commons forks. Only half of the commons will be available, because as junior Bruce Grossman says, “If it’s not packed, it’s not fun. Trust me.”

All four of the featured DJs are experienced in EDM and have a passion for this type of music. One of the DJs, junior Eduardo Chagua, explained how he got into the genre.

“I got into EDM around three years ago when I heard it on Pandora,” he said. “The energy that it carries on to people that hear it keeps me coming back for more.”

According to DJ and junior Graham Nickelson, the concert is going to be a very rare and unique opportunity for high school students. “CHS students can dig deeper into the lives of kids who have talents that aren’t regularly showcased by the Clayton community,” he said. “Students who come will be supporting not only their fellow students, but they’re also going to be supporting to EDM community which is on the rise.”

Finally, if you still are not motivated to come take part in this cheap, loud, bass-filled extravaganza. To top it all off, Grossman said, “If there is enough people I plan to crowd surf.”