Pro – Staying Close to Home for College

Toward the end of the year, seniors face one of the most life-altering decisions of their lives: where to attend college. Although traveling across the country sounds very appealing to many students who crave independence, the advantages of staying close to home should not be overlooked.

Isabella Jacobs was a senior at Clayton High School last year and had to decide what college to attend. Today, she attends the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri.

“I chose to stay close to home for various reasons,” Jacobs said. “Not only was I extremely interested in the Journalism school at the University of Missouri, but I wanted to feel comfortable being away from my family for the first time. When I was deciding on schools, I thought it was important to stay close to the people I love.”

Staying close to home gives students an opportunity to experience comfort and freedom simultaneously.

“The biggest benefit of staying close to home is that I am able to come home if I need anything. If I am anxious about school or want, simply, to have a home cooked meal, I am able to drive just two hours and I am back where I feel comfort and love from my family and friends,” Jacobs said.

Safety is a big issue when choosing a college, since staying in state normally costs less money, and if a financial or medical issue were to arise, home and help is nearby.

Of course, many worry that if they stay in Missouri, they will not achieve a full college experience with new people. Jacobs argues otherwise.

“People at Clayton tend to think that everyone from Missouri goes to Mizzou. Being enrolled in the Journalism school, I am able to meet plenty of people from out of state. I am absolutely getting the full college experience here at Mizzou.”

As for visits back to Saint Louis, Jacobs has only visited a couple times for labor day weekend and a Cardinals game with her sorority sisters. The option to return home always remains open, however.

There is also state pride and a closeness that all of the students share at Mizzou, since it is a state school. The colleges in Missouri present new opportunities and experiences that many people from Missouri can relate and connect to. Jacobs loves being able to represent her home state. She feels that she has so many opportunities presented through University of Missouri and every single day she is able to learn new things about the wonderful university.