Girls’ Basketball Season Recap

Heath Kent talks to his team. (Sierra Carrel)

Heath Kent is the head basketball coach of the girls’ team. Kent talked to the Globe’s Peter Baugh and reflected on the season.

What were your feelings about the team this year?

I think we had a real good year. We had a rough start, played a lot of ranked teams and won 11 out of … 15 [at one point]. We had a good finish, we had a good group.

Who are some players that have stood out?

Lacei Sams has had a real good season, Carmen Plannels, Nina Murov. Carmen [was a] three year starter for us and Lacei has got a chance to play in college. Unfortunately, we lost Amelia Stubblefield before the season with a knee injury. We have had a lot of kids step up.

You had two freshmen and two sophomores on the team at times. What do you think about the future of this team?

I think we will be really young next year. We have got a very good eighth grade group coming in with some kids that will probably … fill in on varsity. We had a good freshman team and a lot of good freshmen this year, so we will be looking at them too, and there’s a couple of kids coming up from the JV team. I think we will be really young but we are looking forward to that group.

How much do you pay attention to JV or freshman games?

We are always at the JV games, they play before us, so obviously them. And we try and catch as many freshman games as possible so we know what’s going on and who can do what.

What are you most proud of this season?

The fact that we went through some adversity with injuries for a while and grades with a couple kids and then our kids persevered and worked hard and never quit.

What do you want to work on for next year?

We are always looking to get better. We are going to lose a lot of scoring off of this year’s team, so we have got to find some kids that want to score.

What are you looking forward to most for next season?

I think trying to blend the young kids with the old kids, the experienced with the inexperienced. It will be a lot of fun teaching, a fun part of coaching is trying to get them all on the same page. I am looking forward to that.