Smoking ban to take effect despite low voter turnout

Although late to pick up on the trend, St. Louis County and City voted on Nov. 3 to pass Proposition N, which introduces a smoking ban in most public places and sites of employment in the area. At the moment, 31 states enforce statewide smoking bans and locally, Kirkwood, Ballwin, and Arnold have elected to adopt a municipal smoking ban.
“I was thrilled to hear that the smoking ban passed,” Clayton resident Luanne Stamp said. “I have been a strong supporter of stop-smoking since I was a child. My father always smoked and I hated it. I avoid restaurants and bars now that are too smoky smelling.”
On July 14, the Clayton city board of aldermen passed a smoking ban to be effected July 1, 2010. The St. Louis County smoking ban takes effect on Jan. 2, 2011.
Before the county ban passed, Clayton business owners were concerned about the local smoking ban negatively effecting revenue of Clayton restaurants. J. McGraugh’s Bar & Grill, located on 8405 Maryland, was one such restaurant skeptical of the smoking ban passed in July.
“I was definitely worried mainly because a lot of our regulars smoke and because it hadn’t passed in the county so in just a couple blocks you could go smoke in another bar,” Bartender Britany Corso said. “With this economy you don’t want to lose anyone.”
The countywide ban alleviated fears of a local economy unable to compete with that of neighboring communities.
“I was relieved because about 20 percent of our customers want nonsmoking and 80 percent want to smoke,” Corso said. “We were not longer worried once the county passed it because we knew our regulars would come whether they could smoke or not.”
The smoking ban is in effect immediately for any new Clayton businesses, but for preexisting locations, the ban goes into effect about six months before the county ban is enforced.
“As for our regulars I have no doubt that they will stay here, complain and smoke outside,” Corso said. “It would be nice if we could have a bigger building for a garden outside.”
Providing an outside seating area is a way for restaurants and bars to get around the smoking ban. Under the county’s ban, casinos, cigar bars, and bars who make a fourth or less of their profits from food are exempt.
Clayton has no bars but the city specific smoking ban prohibits smoking in bar areas in restaurants. The Clayton smoking ban defines a tobacco store as an establishment in which 70 percent of sales are tobacco products, and such stores are also exempt.
“The benefits to Clayton will be improved air quality in the restaurants,” Stamp said.
A low voter turnout left about 20 percent of the county population to make the decision for the 1.35 million residents of the St. Louis City and County.
“I was actually surprised,” Stamp said. “I thought more smokers would come out and vote against it.”
For many CHS seniors, the recent election concerning a new state representative, tax increase to pay for an emergency communications system, and the smoking ban, provided the first opportunity to exercise their right to vote.
“I voted for the ban because I can’t stand smoking in public places, especially when I go out to eat and leave smelling like smoke,” senior Evan Green said.
According to St. Louis County Election Board, Clayton passed the ban with 73.31 percent, and 4,993 yes votes. Central County, to which Clayton belongs, had the highest level of support with 71.55 percent of voters backing the ban.