MLB Playoff Predictions

Cards v Pirates in NLDS Game 1
St. Louis Cardinals third baseman David Freese catches a line drive off of Pittsburgh Pirates’ Clint Barmes during third-inning action in Game 1 of the National League Division Series at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri, on Thursday, October 3, 2013. (Chris Lee/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/MCT)

With the 2013 Mlb Playoffs beginning on Tuesday, and the 163rd game of the season being played tonight, here are my predictions for each round of the postseason.

Play-In Round:  Tampa Bay Rays over Texas Rangers

Tampa has been a strong team all season, who is more worthy of a playoff berth than Texas.  The Rays are more motivated than Texas to advance to the Playoffs, and they will do so in a 6-4 victory.

American League

Wild Card Round:  Tampa Bay Rays over Cleveland Indians

The Indians have had an amazing run this year, advancing to their first postseason since 2007.  In addition, they have won ten straight games.  However, the depth of Tampa’s lineup is stronger than that of Cleveland.  Watch for David DeJesus to have a game winning pinch hit RBI in the ninth inning to solidify a 3-2 Rays victory.

Divisional Series Round:  Tampa Bay Rays over Boston Red Sox in 5 games

The division rivals will square off in a very evenly matched series, and Tampa will ultimately prevail.  Although Boston is the top seed in the American League, watch for the Rays to pull off the upset in the final game of the series.  It will be a pitching battle throughout the series, but look for Tampa’s young arms Matt Moore and Chris Archer to come through with big wins.

Divisional Series Round:  Oakland Athletics over Detroit Tigers in 4 games

It’s been a long journey for Oakland, winning back to back AL West pennants.  Although the Tigers are the defending American League Champions, they will lose to the same team they beat in last year’s Divisional Series.  The Tigers are coming off a no-hitter loss to the Miami Marlins, the worst team in baseball, and they will not be able to recover against Oakland.  Home field advantage will be a huge asset to Oakland, who have some of the loudest fans in baseball during Postseason play.

Championship Series Round:  Tampa Bay Rays over Oakland Athletics in 5 games

The postseason in Major League Baseball is all about who’s hot at the right time, and after huge wins against Texas, Cleveland, and Boston, the surging Rays will not be stopped by the Oakland A’s.  As the wildcard in the American League, the Tampa Bay Rays will advance to their second franchise World Series.  Series MVP:  Right Fielder Wil Myers

National League

Wild Card Round:  Pittsburgh Pirates over Cincinnati Reds

The Pirates will play in their first playoff game in over twenty years on Tuesday, and Pittsburgh will therefore have more motivation to win than Cincinnati in the wild card game.  The fans in Pittsburgh will be fired up for the game at Pittsburgh’s PNC Park, and the Pirates will win the game 5-3.  The Pirates’ second baseman Neil Walker, a Pittsburgh native, will hit the game winning three run home run to propel the Pittsburgh Pirates into the next round.

Divisional Series Round:  St. Louis Cardinals over Pittsburgh Pirates in 3 games

The Cardinals have arguably been the best team in Major League Baseball over the past ten seasons with seven playoff appearances, five National League Championship appearances, three World Series appearances, and two World series championships.  Meanwhile, it’s been over twenty years since the Pirates have played Postseason ball.  The Cardinals are much more prepared for postseason play, and the Pirates will not be able to handle the Cardinals’ experience in the playoffs.  Pittsburgh will be unable to win a game against St. Louis who finished their season on a six game winning streak.

Divisional Series Round:  Los Angeles Dodgers over Atlanta Braves in 5 games

The Braves were the best team in the National League for the majority of the 2013 season, but the Dodgers, who have all stars at virtually every position, will top Atlanta in a decisive game 5.  The Dodgers roster is simply better than the Braves.  LA’s pitching blows away that of Atlanta, and while Atlanta probably would have advanced to the Championship Series Round if they played any team other than Los Angeles, the Dodgers will just be to much for the Braves.

Championship Series Round:  Los Angeles Dodgers over St. Louis Cardinals in 6 games

As a die-hard Cardinals fan, it kills me to go against the Redbirds.  The Cardinals position players match that of the Dodgers.  Pitching is where Los Angeles edges out St. Louis.  The Cardinals have Lance Lynn, who looked awful for most of August and parts of September, Adam Wainwright who has been inconsistent, Shelby Miller who has had a good rookie year but has not been exceptional, and Joe Kelly who has significantly slowed down in September.  The Dodgers starting rotation includes likely Cy Young award winner Clayton Kershaw, Korean ace Hyun Jin Ryu, and 15-4 Zack Greinke.  It’s been a phenomenal season for the Redbirds, but they will fall just short of the World Series for the second consecutive season.  The series MVP will be first baseman Adrian Gonzalez.

World Series:  Los Angeles Dodgers over Tampa Bay Rays in 6 games

Although I did state earlier that the MLB postseason is about who gets hot at the right time, the Los Angeles Dodgers are just too good for Tampa.  Tampa Bay will compete with Los Angeles, but the Dodgers will end up running away with the series.  A team from the National League will be champions for the fourth year in a row, and LA will end the season popping champagne and hoisting the world series trophy.  MVP:  1st baseman Adrian Gonzalez