Breakfast Club creating book scholarship for senior students

One club at CHS aims to get more students involved in the library. Typically, the Breakfast Club meets on the last Wednesday of the month at 7:45 a.m. to discuss activities for the library.

Breakfast Club BW
Meris Hoxah and Charles Goodman relax after contributing advice to the library staff in their morning meeting.

CHS Librarian Lauran DeRigne is the only teacher sponsor of the club. She created this group to give students an opportunity to discuss creative ideas to add to the library agenda.

“I wanted a student library advisory board to give me advice on changes and ideas I had for the library when I started three years ago,” DeRigne said. “We discuss any issues affecting the library.  We try to organize and plan one activity in the library each month.  Last year, we had finals study nights in the library as well as some gaming events. This year, the group will be working more on literary events in and for the library.”

This year the club has already completed an event to celebrate the release of the highly anticipated novel Catching Fire. The group of students is also planning a book fair this year.

“We decorated the library and had giveaways for the release of the second Hunger Games books, Catching Fire, in September,” DeRigne said. “We are now working on the upcoming CHS Book Fair at Left Bank Books on Dec. 5 and Dec. 6 to fund a library scholarship for a CHS senior.”

If you shop at Left Bank Books in the Central West End, and tell the clerk that you are there for the CHS Book fair, a portion of your purchase goes toward funding the CHS library scholarship. This year seniors can apply for the library scholarship by writing an essay about using library resources.

Last year, library study nights during finals week were extremely popular.

“It’s a great idea to keep the library open late during the week of finals,” senior Melissa Kopp said. “The library was a really convenient meeting place for study groups. Also, as an added bonus, they served hot chocolate and snacks.”

The club is mainly composed of boys. DeRigne encourages more girls to consider joining the club.

“We lost almost all of our original Breakfast Club members last year as seniors,” DeRigne said.  “This year it has been slow in starting, but we finally have a good group of students: Rasheed Henderson, Devan Westermayer, Meris Hoxha, Carter Ellston, Mohammed Kokan, Anna Adrignola, Jeremy Tubbs, Jordan Henry and Varun Chakravarthy. Last year it was a lot of girls, and now it’s a lot of boys.”

The group is always seeking new students to contribute ideas for future library activities.