Traditional U.S. dolls removed from shelves

American Girl dolls are under attack, being taken away one by one.

The company American Girl is famous for selling historical dolls and books that focus on specific times of American history from that doll’s viewpoint. This past year, American Girl has discontinued a classic doll, Samantha Parkington, who, in the books about her, grew up in 1904.

I think that placing Samantha in, as American Girl calls it, their “archives” is a terrible thing. She was one of the original dolls, which included Samantha, Molly McIntire, and Kirsten Larson, and rather popular among preteen girls, the main buyers of the dolls. Taking away her, or any historical doll, for that matter, limits real girls’ knowledge of that time period. Sure, some girls may pick up a nonfiction book about the early 1900s, but not many.

What’s worse is that Samantha was replaced. The newest addition to the collection of dolls, Rebecca Rubin, was released when Samantha was discontinued, in May 2009.

Don’t think I’m hating on Rebecca. I’m not. In fact, I think it’s wonderful that American Girl finally created a doll with a different religion than the others. Rebecca is, according to her books, Jewish. I can see that American Girl is trying to become more diverse in their collection of historical dolls, and that’s good.

But I don’t like the fact the American Girl used Rebecca as a replacement for Samantha. Samantha should not have retired; she’s only ten, after all.

There are several similarities between the two. Rebecca and Samantha even look alike. Samantha’s story took place in 1904; Rebecca’s took place in 1914. This shouldn’t be a reason to replace Samantha; many historical dolls “grew up” within 10 years of another.

Why can’t both dolls’ collections be sold? Taking away Samantha is like taking away the 1900s for preteen girls who may not want to open heavy books regarding the same time period. I also think the addition of Rebecca is valuable to girls. Rebecca’s story not only enlightens girls about the 1910s, but her story also inspires girls to follow their dreams.

Although American Girl never actually said why Samantha was taken away, I have a feeling it has to do with money and finance. However, I think continuing the American Girl tradition is more important than raking in money, which I’m sure they are still making anyway. Of course, I’m not in charge of American Girl.

If I were in charge, Samantha and Rebecca would coexist in the collection.

Another tragedy is coming. Soon, at the end of the year, Kirsten Larson will also be discontinued and moved into the American Girl “archives.”

Another original American Girl doll gone? It seems as if the company American Girl is hoping to rake in some extra cash from collectors during the holidays.

American Girl is taking away historical, although fictitious, girls that real girls today can identify with. Trust me, I know girls do, because I did when I was a preteen. I owned Molly McIntire, who “grew up” in 1944, and like other girls learned about the American home front during World War II from her story. I looked a bit like Molly, with the hair and glasses, which made learning about the home front more interesting.  I’m sure other girls have related to their dolls in this way also, or the company would not have profited.

Not only have the dolls’ stories taught real girls history, they have also taught girls how to be good citizens, intertwining perseverance, courage, and kindness into girls’ characters. Girls relate to girls; it does not matter if the relatable girl is fictitious. I know that Samantha’s story taught me how to be charitable, because she always was generous to the less fortunate; her relatives were made of money.

The books prepare girls for being nice to others, but in a protective way. The dolls never actually suffer. If only life was like that. The books do hand girls the tools to build a road to a good life, though.

I suppose these character traits I learned through the dolls’ stories stuck and made up the person who I am today. If American Girl keeps taking away dolls, other girls won’t be able to have a chance to build character in such a way.

Samantha and Kirsten should be able to stay in the collection. Keep the classics. Add new dolls, but keep the old as well.