Pro on new schedule

IMG_2107Clayton High School is going through many changes. One of these changes is a new schedule where there will be longer school days, and longer breaks. The school day is going to be extended by __ minutes a day.  This new change will be a positive addition to CHS.

One new pro of this schedule is the longer vacations. Many parents have complained that breaks are not long enough, and frequently pull their kids out of school. With the new schedule the stress of missing those last days of school will be lifted off of many kid’s shoulders.

Another pro of this new schedule will be the lower number of snow days. In a normal school year we only have one or two school days and three or four unused snow days where we are at school. These extra school days can lead to teachers having messed up curriculum because they have days where they have no curriculum planned.

Another new addition is early dismissals instead of late starts. This means on some Fridays we will get out at one o’clock instead of starting on some Wednesdays at 9:20 am. This is a plus because are weekend will start two hours sooner, and won’t take away any more class time than late starts.

The biggest complaint is that teachers will have less class days to teach curriculum. While this is true, classes will be longer to compensate for the missed school days. The complaint is that teachers will have to redo their curriculum, but it is good to change the curriculum from year to year. There are many teachers per subject and together they can come up with a new way to present the curriculum in the exact same amount of time.

This change doesn’t only affect CHS, but WMS and all the grade schools. Now, all of the schools will start, and get out at the same time. This will be easier on families because they can do all of their pick-ups and drop-offs at the same time.

The new schedule will be a good addition to the 2014-2015 school year, and will cause fewer students to miss school days around vacation times. Also, it will cause change in the curriculum that has been taught the same way for many years. CHS will benefit from these new changes.