Amazon Drone

Prime Air Amazon Drone being explained on the Amazon website
Prime Air Amazon Drone being explained on the Amazon website (Jolena Pang, CHS Globe)

During Thanksgiving week, Amazon announced that they are planning to switch to a new shipping method: Prime Air.

The method proposed seemed simple enough — a customer would order his product and within 30 minutes of the purchase, a drone would fly over to the customer’s house and leave the package there. Although it would make mailing more efficient, the problem was that as of now, an Amazon factory had to be nearby the customer’s home in order for it to be within 30 minutes.

On top of that, drones have not been approved by Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for safety issues and because the use of drones for public reasons are very limited. As a result, Prime Air will at earliest be used in 2015.

The idea is futuristic and it sounds efficient to use air transportation, and of course, there are a few beneficial aspects in using a drone. It is a small aircraft so landing safely would not be a huge problem.

The downside to the drone idea would most definitely be the air traffic.

If not regulated correctly, the drones could crash into each other or even cause other accidents because they fly relatively low. Their size can also be a flaw because like birds, they don’t show up on airplane radars, and like birds, they could get stuck in the airplane’s engine.

Another major disadvantage in switching to this method is that it replaces people that currently deliver packages. In fact, delivery services, such as UPS, would likely suffer if this new project were to be initiated.

In the world we’re living in, we want everything as quick as possible, so it’s only natural that we want our delivery time to be shortened to 30 minutes instead of waiting for a whole week.

If calculated, Prime Air is 336 times faster than just normal Amazon shipping time. But if we look carefully at the actual implications of having Prime Air, maybe it is better taking the whole week.

Safety is definitely worth a week of waiting instead of having to risk air traffic disaster, possible dangers to other people’s lives and job losses. In the end, we’re not quite ready for this futuristic idea to take flight yet.