Novices and experienced riders find fun, enjoyment from equestrian club

Senior Laura Klamer poses during a meeting of the equestrian club. Although a novice she still enjoys participating in this one-a-kind CHS club.

Among the lesser-known clubs at CHS is the Equestrian Club. The club is sponsored by Substitute Coordinator Meg Flach and welcomes interested students at all levels of horseback riding. The club meets on the first and third Saturday of every month at Ridgefield Arena in Wildwood.

Sophomore Taylor Kloha said she joined Equestrian Club after two of her friends joined and convinced her to ride horses with them.

“We go out twice a month, and I get to improve on my riding skills,” Kloha said.

“Horseback riding is really kind of amazing. It’s a great experience, and I hadn’t done much riding before I joined Equestrian Club.”

When Flach started the club, she was uncertain about how much interest there would be, but she soon found enough students who were either enthusiastic, frequent riders or who wanted to learn how to horseback ride.

“It was sort of a gamble,” Flach said. “I didn’t know how many people would be interested, or even if the school would let it happen, since horseback riding is a pretty dangerous sport.”

Flach chose to sponsor Equestrian Club because horseback riding has been a passion of hers since childhood, and she would have loved to be part of an Equestrian Club when she was in high school.

“I’ve been riding since I was six years old,” Flach said. “I’ve been horse crazy all my life, spending the majority of my childhood out at the barn.  I got my own horse for my 13th birthday, but I had to sell him when I went away to college in Washington D.C.  I took a break from riding to focus on school, but I couldn’t stand to stay away for too long.  I’ve been working with my current trainer for a year and a half.”

Flach said that the most important things for beginners to know are that horses are easily affected by humans’ reactions, so riders must stay calm and focused so that they don’t scare the horse.

“Horses are big and potentially dangerous animals.  They are prey animals, so they scare easily and their first reaction is to run.  If you’re going to shriek and panic and jump around, you’re going to scare your horse and you’re going to get hurt,” she said.

First-time riders have their horse chosen by a trainer and start with a Western saddle, which is the most secure type of saddle, until they master some of the basic riding steps such as a walk, trot and canter. They then move to an English saddle, which is what is used when learning to jump.

While some members of the club who are at a more advanced level compete in shows, the members’ goals are all personal and they work toward improving their individual riding skills. So far, the Equestrian Club has not done any shows as a group.

“There’s absolutely no pressure, so you advance at your own pace,” Flach said.

Kloha has not competed in any shows, but she has definitely seen progress in her riding ability.

“I’ve really improved my balance and my coordination with the horse, and I can communicate with the horse better,” Kloha said.

Flach thinks that many non-riders sometimes underestimate the skill and work involved in becoming a proficient rider.

“It’s also important for non-riders to know that riding is much harder than it looks,” Flach said. “So many people look at equestrian sports and say, ‘they’re just sitting there, I could do that!’ In reality, it not only takes a lot of strength and balance but also a lot of mental work to plan and direct your horse where you want it to go.  A good equestrian can regulate direction, gait, speed, length of stride, impulsion, and where their horse takes off for a jump all at the same time without making it look like they’re doing anything at all.”