Trip to Nicaragua reveals the joy of a different culture and lifestyle

When was the last time you thought that you were lucky to have running water? Or when was the last time that you were grateful that you could count on eating consistently? Have you ever thought to yourself how your education was going to benefit you in the end so you could have a greater choice in a career?

Nicaraguans celebrate the festivities of Christmas within the traditions of their culture. Sophomore Jonathan Shumway travelled to Nicaragua over Winter Break to learn the culture of the people, and learned of their happy lifestyle, despite poverty and political unrest. (Jonathan Shumway)

Over the winter break, I had an extremely enlightening opportunity to visit a place where I was reminded daily of how much I really have. I got to go to Nicaragua, the second poorest country in the Western Hemisphere after Haiti. The country of Nicaragua may conjure up feelings of misunderstandings and political unrest—of the Reagan Contra years to the present corrupt politics of Daniel Ortega. Nicaragua has a long history–from being invaded by Spanish conquistadors, to the American pirate William Walker, and then to decades of dictatorship by a ruling family called the Samozas that brought many years of civil war and turmoil.
With all of this history, much of it being unjust rule, the people of Nicaragua remain some of the happiest people I have seen. One could say that they acted only cheerful when we were there, or they were just anxious to get a couple cents, but I think that people there are just grateful for what they have, though in our eyes, it may not be much. (Note the currency exchange rate is one American dollar to 20 cordobas, so a couple of cents is actually significant).
One fond memory I have is watching a Christmas procession or parade that consisted of most of the town as they shot off homemade mortars. The villagers were very tolerant of us Gringos following them through the winding cobblestone streets as they celebrated their traditional festival. They let us join in with the celebrations. I would say that the Nicaraguans know how to have fun. Most of Christmas and New Year’s nights were spent hearing and seeing the different fireworks go off.
Although many Americans probably would consider that most Nicaraguans do not have much temporally, they do enjoy family and friends with zest and great humor. Sometimes that is what people like me miss–learning to be happy without the comforts that money brings. I can still remember this Nicaraguan couple dancing to Latina music in a small town market square. I then tried to replicate their dance steps as my younger cousins tried to do the same. Another memory is the image of seeing people casting their fishing nets out into the water as the sunset reflected on the water. This memory shows how although modernization continues to take place, some livelihoods that have been around for hundreds, perhaps even thousands of years, continue to exist and take place every day. Yet, another memory is seeing the countless piñatas, and being with a whole neighborhood of kids to watch them gleefully take turns smashing the piñata. These memories have demonstrated to me that no matter what is your situation, you can choose to be happy, and make the best of what you have and know—enjoying the environment around you.
Although I love the warm, open Nicaraguan culture, being there also made me be more grateful to live in America. I saw three-year-olds trying to sell gum at a market. I also had to face being stopped by the police five in times without reason in just over two weeks. The policemen then would laugh, enjoying stopping the Gringos again, as if it was some game. We even were pulled over on Christmas. On one dark night, I saw poachers trying to get sea turtle eggs out of the beach sand, desperate to earn money–although their economic gains could be much greater if they protected their wildlife and invested in ecotourism. Much of this poaching was even done as military men roamed the beaches, with their AK47’s, ready to catch them. It was amazing to see the risks that people will do just to survive, such as children trying to beg in the middle of the street while cars whizzed by them at 40 or 50 miles an hour.
The words of the song ‘Proud to be an American,’ by Lee Greenwood rang in my ears, “And I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free.” I felt infinitely more gratitude for a republic that regards individuals’ rights, but also the opportunities that have been given to me. One question I thought often throughout the trip was “Why do I have so much when it seems that so many people in this world have so little?” I do not have an answer for that question, but I learned with more certainty that we are the ones who are supposed to come to the aid of others, and help them to come to where we are today. Nicaragua caused me to evaluate my blessings, and think how I can contribute with all that I have been given. I love America, but the trip showed and exemplified some of the inequities that exist and are common place in some places in this world. I now know that I need to take a more direct and active stance in helping people to rise up and have the opportunities that I see and experience every day. 