Enthusiasm of Clayton Crazies creates home court advantage

A new group of CHS students attend CHS Varsity Basketball home games, providing entertainment for spectators and players alike.

They are not your typical fans or cheerleaders. No skirts, no bows and no matching uniforms. To be on the Clayton Crazies you just need a loud voice and orange and blue attire.
The Clayton Crazies are a group of students that cheer on the sidelines of CHS Varsity Basketball home games. The group made their debut this year. One objective of the Clayton Crazies is to bring new forms of entertainment to CHS basketball games.
“They bring excitement and energy to the games,” Varsity Basketball coach Ryan Luhning said. “They help make noise and have fun. It makes Stuber Gym a true home court advantage for our team.”
Luhning and Assistant Varsity Basketball Coach Mike Nelke created the Clayton Crazies.
Before the winter basketball season, they recruited students to join the squad and helped spread the word about this new club.
“Mr. Nelke and I put together an announcement asking for people with interest to come to an after school meeting,” Luhning said. “We had a few show and asked them to try to get others to come to practice which is held after school the day before home games. Mr. Nelke and I oversee the Crazies and make sure we are having fun at all the games.”
Along with encouraging players on the basketball team, the Clayton Crazies create a positive atmosphere and help generate an energetic crowd.
“Our team sometimes needs energy throughout the game and they feed off the energy of the crowd,” Luhning said. “Our guys look forward to seeing a big crowd at the games and usually play better when there is a lot of energy in the building.”
The Clayton Crazies motivate the basketball players by creating cheers and distracting members of the opposing team.
“Members of the Clayton Crazies are really entertaining,” CHS Varsity basketball player Max Goldfarb said. “They are loud, obnoxious and funny. They help provide an atmosphere that is similar to college basketball games.”
With a few exceptions, the Clayton Crazies only cheer at home games. This season there are only six home games. Senior Jack Harned joined the Clayton Crazies at the past three home games.
“As a member of the Clayton Crazies you can get into the basketball games for free and get free pizza,” Harned said. “Besides free admission, I also enjoy watching my brother on the court.”
The Clayton Crazies are looking forward to future games this season. The members hope to develop more enthusiasm, gather new participates and make new cheers for the remaining games.
“I’m excited for the last three home games,” Harned said. “Besides these home games, the Crazies will hopefully make a presence at the district games, which will be hosted at Clayton. The Clayton Crazies will also go to the Ladue game, which will be at Fontbonne.”
The Clayton Crazies are always recruiting new members to help cheer on the team. All members must attend the meetings before each of the last three home games.
“Right now the Clayton Crazies have formally shown up at the three home basketball games,” Harned said. “In the future, we might arrive at any sporting event where we are needed. We could even start making appearances at TEAMS and math competitions.”
Although the Clayton Crazies are new to CHS, they already have a large gathering of followers.
“If you come to the short meetings, wear blue and orange attire and cheer on the sidelines, you can join the Clayton Crazies,” Harned said. “The more that join, the merrier.”