A new season brings new beginnings for show choir

Upon walking through the halls of CHS early in the morning before school, you may catch some sounds of Duke Ellington, Van Morrison and other popular singers spilling out of the music wing, and perhaps catch a glimpse of students dancing and singing. What could have possibly dragged these exhausted teenage souls out of bed? The obvious answer is the famed CHS show choir.

Students audition for the CHS show choir with director Alice Fasman.  (by Caroline Stamp)
Students audition for the CHS show choir with director Alice Fasman. (by Caroline Stamp)

Show choir is a fun alternative for students who take performance classes such as orchestra, band and choir to perform outside of school. Auditions were at the beginning of school, when students would come to learn pieces that they would rehearse with the group on the second week.

Students learned a dance routine while the dance choreographers Ian Miller, Ruthie Polinsky and Erica Hill observed.

Although more competitive for the girls,  “[The new group] has a very strong male section” director of choral music at CHS Alice Fasman said.

Although competitive, sometimes it’s just the blend of your voice.

“Blend is an important part of the audition,” Fasman said. “A person with a beautiful voice that doesn’t blend is at a disadvantage.”

Previous members also had to re-audition this year and said that the process is select.

“Getting into show choir is pretty enigmatic, and is never a constant” junior Ian Miller said.  “The group has always been pretty select, and it really varies based on the circumstances of the year.”

The circumstances of this year have certainly changed. Show choir had to completely fill up the alto section of the choir again after three seniors graduated. Not only that, more people auditioning and more openings make this year different from previous ones.

Last year there were only 12 students in show choir, and this year it has made the leap to 20.

“The great thing about the show choir this year is that there are so many people! It has such a great sound,” junior Sarah McAfee said.

Show choir not only is an extracurricular activity but also takes place in the Clayton community. It performs at graduation, the Arts Fair, Senior Swing, the elementary school tour and more.

Show choir also has three concerts with the regular choir in November, March and May. Listeners and members enjoy the pop, show and jazz genres of music.

“I really like the types of songs show and swing choirs get to sing,” McAfee said. “It’s nice to experience more jazzy, stylized songs, and dancing along with that type of music is great.”

Past repertoire includes “It Don’t Mean a Thing (if it Ain’t Got That Swing)” by Duke Ellington, as well as “Brown Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison and “Mama Who Born Me?” from Spring Awakening.

Incoming students have big shoes to fill after last year’s graduating class.

“The show choir last year had three voices for each part; soprano, alto, tenor and bass,” McAfee said. “ The three seniors who graduated were all altos, so the group was really unbalanced. It was also sad to say goodbye to Rebeccah, Leigh, and Susie.”

Not only was it hard saying goodbye to past members, but looking into the future it will be especially hard saying good bye to the current junior class.

“Junior class will be hard to replace for years,” Fasman said.  “ [It is] particularly strong, oh my gosh. . . We’ll be in mourning when that class leaves in years to come.”

However, it is important to look at the present right now and see the potential this year’s group holds.

“This year’s group is already extremely determined and energetic, so we will definitely accomplish a lot,” Miller said. “I really wish to break out of the mold that show choir has fallen into, and really get creative with how we perform. I am very excited to see what this new group can achieve.”