Filed under Sports, Winter

Hockey Hounds Take Down Lutheran South Lancers for Late-Season Breakthrough

Varsity+hockey+players+Daniel+Cohen+%28left%29+and+Mariano+Colombo+%28right%29+move+to+block+the+puck+during+a+game+against+MICDS+on+Jan.+12%2C+2019.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Varsity hockey players Daniel Cohen (left) and Mariano Colombo (right) move to block the puck during a game against MICDS on Jan. 12, 2019.

Anna Walsh

Anna Walsh

Anna Walsh

“We earned this win. We did not give up. We fought hard till the end,” senior and captain Damien Stahl said after the CHS varsity ice hockey team beat Lutheran South High School by a score of 5-4 Thursday evening.

The Hounds entered tonight’s game with a record of 8-9 and were hoping to bounce back from a two game losing streak.

The team started off slow, and the Lutheran South Lancers took advantage of this opportunity. The Lancers went up three to one in the second period. The Hounds quickly fought back, but Lutheran South continued to hold their lead.

Stahl said, “We entered this game as the better team, and we knew this was our game to win. We did not let our slow start derail us from earning a win, and we were willing to do whatever it took to win this game.”

CHS controlled the entire third period and junior Aidan Armstrong tied the game up at four to four with five minutes remaining. Then, with only two minutes remaining in the game, senior Fletcher Burbee scored to give the Hounds the lead.

The team never gave up and were able to record their ninth win of the season.

“Tonight’s game was very important. We had just come off of two hard games against two great teams,” Stahl said. “We needed to get back into the win column, and tonight was our opportunity, and we did what we hoped to do.”

The Hounds have two regular season games remaining and will then enter the playoffs. Their next game is this Saturday, January 20, at 8:45 p.m versus Northwest High School at the Webster Groves Ice Rink.

Stahl said, “Our team needs to finish this season strong. We want to end the regular season on a positive note so we can enter the playoffs ready to beat whoever we have to face.”

About the Writer
Daniel Cohen, Sports Section Editor/Business Manager

Daniel Cohen is a senior at Clayton High School. This is his third year on staff and he is the business manager and the sports section editor. Along with Globe, Daniel is part...