Students join America while retaining their native culture

Seniors Meris Hoxha and Melina De Bona are students who have moved to St. Louis, MO, from their native countries. They both found that America is quite different from their native countries, but they have been able to make new friends while attending school in the United States. (Sarah O'Brien)

It is no secret America has some of the best available opportunities available. Whether someone wants to pursue a career in economics, education, or sports, the chances of succeeding are better here than any country.
In recent years, America has seen an increase in foreign students pursuing different opportunities. CHS is no exception. Walking the halls, there are students of various ethnic backgrounds.
“My family moved from Albania when I was about four,” senior Meris Hoxha said. “We moved to New York City and relocated to Clayton when I was 10. At first, people thought of Albanians as bunch of terrorists.”
Hoxha’s family made the move to pursue better economic and educational opportunities. Hoxha speaks Albanian on a regular basis, has adjusted well to Clayton, and is a proud member of the of varsity baseball team and Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
“Currently, I am not a United States citizen,” Hoxha said. “I don’t have plans of taking the test. It’s just not that important to me.”
Senior Zeina Ziade moved to the United States in the summer of 2002 from Lebanon. Her father pursued a better job and educational opportunities. Ziade has also adjusted to life in Clayton and participates in volleyball, Community Service Club, French Club, Biology Club, and DECA.
“Having to learn to learn English, meet new people, and adjusting to a new environment were my biggest obstacles,” Ziade said.
Her family speaks Lebanese at home and eats Lebanese food.
“We look at it as a way to hold onto our culture,” Ziade said.
Last month, Ziade applied U.S. citizenship.
Senior Melina De Bona had similar difficulties, also citing the cultural differences as her biggest obstacle. De Bona moved from Buenos Aires, Argentina, in June 2005. Eventually, De Bona was able to fluently speak English and adjust well to CHS. De Bona is a great student and participates in volleyball, DECA, and Biology Club.
“I enjoy living America,” De Bona said. “I think I have somewhat ‘Americanized’ myself.”
De Bona plans to attend college in America; however, she will not take the United States citizenship test. By passing, she would have to forfeit her Argentinean citizenship.
“Holding onto culture is very important,” De Bona said. “Other ways we hold onto our culture is speaking Spanish, socializing with other Argentineans in the area, and watch Argentinean television.”
Hoxha’s memories about Albania are mostly focused on society as a whole compared to life in America.
“There wasn’t as much freedom of speech,” Hoxha said. “People knew their places. Here, you can basically say whatever in the right context and it’s acceptable.”
Ziade’s memories were also about the differences of peoples.
“Americans value work more than life,” Ziade said. “Lebanon is the opposite. Also, sports aren’t really as a big deal in Lebanon as they are here.”
All three students have family back home; however, De Bona is the only one who visits on a regular basis. Each plan to attend college in America and pursue different career paths.