Day in the Life of Kurtis Werner

Look at him first glance and you’ll just see a history teacher in the halls, but history teacher Kurtis Werner has more to him then meets the eye.
Stuck off in the hall to nowhere Werner gets hidden away from the rest of the school, but the contributions he is making are easily seen.

Cros country Kurtis Werner pumps up his runners before beginning a run. (Devan Westermayer)
Cros country coach Kurtis Werner pumps up his runners before beginning a run. (Devan Westermayer)

Werner usually wakes up at 5 a.m. and is at school by 6 to 6:30. Always giving his spare time to sports and grading, he can be at school for as long as 12 hours. Werner also coaches cross country in the fall and track and field in the spring.
“This is the first year I actually have three sophomore classes and two freshman,” Werner said.
In his third year of teaching, Werner has five classes and next year he will also teach the electives of Missouri History or Sociology. In addition his job as cross country coach can be exhausting.
“I was so exhausted last night I fell asleep in my running clothes at 8:50”, Werner said. “I woke up at 3:30 had no idea where I was. It’s one of those things.”
The cross country team now has 45 members and  has legitimized its whole organization, having much success.
“You have to be a little crazy to do the things we do, so when you get a bunch of these kids together it’s a neat atmosphere,” Werner said.
Werner said he owes much of his inspiration to his personal mentor, history teacher Paul Hoelscher.
“That guy is amazing,” Werner said. “He has been my role model since I’ve been here and he sort of guided me to into where I need to be as a teacher.”
Werner knew since he was in the fifth grade that he wanted to be a teacher, all it took was for the right fit and the right role model to help him make his way.
Werner has a life outside of the hectic schedule of a teacher. Spending time with his friends and working on his new house takes up whatever free time he has after grading and coaching and chilling with his friends.
“Some friends are going pants shopping with me today at Macy’s because I wear pleated pants and they think it is out of style,” Werner said.
Never afraid to make someone laugh Mr. Werner always slips in jokes to every situation.