Highs and Lows: Connection to Author lends to enjoyable reading

It was pretty much all I could talk about for days. I flipped through memory-laden books and tried to imagine what events would transpire.

I was about to see Jonathan Safran Foer, my favorite living author, speak at a Wash U chapel.

In my everyday conversations, I’d refer to Foer on a first-name basis, saying things like, “I wonder what excerpts Jonathan will read from his new book.”

It may seem a bit silly to be so excited about a talk by an author and getting a few books signed, but there’s something special about the experience of meeting the person who has created so much literature that has had an impact on you.

One book at a time, I’ve exhausted just about everything Foer has written in his relatively short career. It all started with his debut novel, “Everything is Illuminated.” Admittedly, I was not grabbed at first, but, within a few chapters, my eyes were glued to the pages.

A few weeks later, I found myself returning to the book. The impact was even stronger the second time. When I was halfway through my second turn at “Illuminated,” I ordered his next novel from the library.

I digested the next novel in a single day, spending my Sunday alternating between reading the book curled up on a couch and reading it while soaking in the summer sun at Shaw Park with friend. Let’s just say that my friend wasn’t very happy that I was completely neglecting her for the allure of a new book.

Once I’d finished both of his novels, at first I was sad that there was nothing of his left to read. I’d become entranced by his poetic style, enchanting characters, and somber, yet, optimistic themes.

And then I remembered the Internet. A few short days later, I was scouring the web for his short stories in the online archives of publications like The New Yorker.

Obviously, when his third book was released earlier this year, I jumped at the opportunity to bring it along with me on my Spring Break vacation to read on the beach.

As someone who has always been passionate about books and literature, it’s not uncommon for me to become enthralled with a new book or read a few books from the catalogue of a newly discovered author. But, with Foer, I approached his work with a zeal with which I have approached very few other authors.

Part of this was, obviously, because of his literary talent and the creativity that bursts from his work. However, I think a lot of it has to do with my admitted jealousy of the life that Jonathan lives. How could I possibly not want to be a writer in New York with two brilliant, successful novels under my belt before the age of thirty?

Authors have a medium through which to connect to their readers that neither a movie nor a television program could ever achieve. That’s why the night I met Foer was special for me, if a bit awkward when an attendee reminded me to stop holding up the line during my brief conversation with Foer. I guess he just didn’t get it.