Student jobs: The ultimate juggling act

Senior Kara Kratcha preps a shirt for dry cleaning at her job. Kratcha, who works at Westway Cleaners, finds commitments easier to juggle if she only works a limited number of weekdays. (Laura Kratcha)

Students at Clayton High School are more than their title implies: they are athletes, activists, workers, and much more. Students invest their time out of school in all sorts of ways, and while some students elect to play sports or join in clubs, others choose to work.

Many students at CHS have part-time jobs. Whether voluntary or necessary, jobs provide an important source of income for otherwise dependent teens.

Junior Jonathan Matheny, who works as a busser and dish washer at Café Manhattan, is very aware of the rewards of a job.

“A definite benefit of having a job is getting paid,” Matheny said. “Right now I’m saving up for college and lacrosse equipment.”

Many students find the appeal of making money attractive enough to offset the potential consequences of juggling a job and school. Nevertheless, the two competing responsibilities can present a problem when they conflict.

Senior Shane Sepac works at Crystal Clear Car Wash on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays for four and a half hours at a time.

“The car wash I work at has internet so often I use that internet to do some homework,” Sepac said. “It can be distracting, though, when I have to keep interrupting my work to manage the car wash.”

Junior Taylor Gold agrees that when work takes over time that would otherwise be dedicated to school work, managing the two commitments can be tricky. Gold works at the Shaw Park Ice Rink during the winter.

“Working during school can be difficult when I want to go out with my friends or I have lots of homework and I don’t have a lot of time to do it,” Gold said. “I usually just work weekends, but on Sundays it can be hard to get my work done.”

Junior Clair Laufketter also has experienced the inevitable difficulties that come with taking on two very serious responsibilities.

“It’s hard when I have to work and I have tests the next day,” Laufketter said. Laufketter works as a hostess at Duffy’s three to four days a week.

“I can’t study at Duffy’s, so I try to get all my other homework done there and then study when I get home,” Laufketter said.

Though there are some inherent difficulties that come with handling the role of both employee and student, there are also undeniable benefits. Many student workers find that the extra commitment is well worth their time.

“I can handle having a job and going to school pretty well,” senior August Turner said. Turner works as a dish washer at Café Manhattan, a busser at I Fratellini, and a busser and deliverer at Bobo.

“I get to make a lot of money and meet a lot of interesting people,” Turner said.

Laufketter has also found ways to balance her two responsibilities so that they are compatible with each other.

“Working actually helps me to get my homework done,” Laufketter said. “It’s usually not too busy so I do homework while I sit there.”

Gold, too, has found that working has been a worthy addition to her schedule instead of a burden.

“Work gives me a chance to get a break from hanging out with my friends or doing homework,” Gold said. “I get to socialize with my fellow workers and the ice rink is a fun environment to be in.”

Part-time jobs may seem too demanding as extra-curricular activities, but they constitute just another part of daily life for many CHS students. For those that have the time, a job can be a rewarding pastime.