Pam’s Barber Styling revives the long-established Wydown barbershop tradition

Pam’s Barber Styling on Wydown Blvd. continues the location’s long-established barbershop tradition.
Pam’s Barber Styling on Wydown Blvd. continues the location’s long-established barbershop tradition. (Dustin Kessler)

Continuing the barbershop tradition from the 1930s, Pamela Saputo replaced the classic barbershop on Wydown with her own shop, Pam’s Barber Styling. However, what happened to the previous owner of the ancient barbershop? The previous barbershop, known as John’s of Clayton, is considered to be an antique building of Clayton and the sudden closing of the shop caused surprise to many.

“John was here for 46 years, but because of health reasons, he had to retire,” Saputo explained. “He was 86 years old.”

Though the legacy of John’s Barbershop has ceased, Saputo revives the barbershop, both literally and figuratively.

“After doing a total makeover,” Saputo said. “Everything in my shop is updated with state of the art equipment. Previously, it was from the 1930s, so before the building was old and worn-out.”

Along with the remodeling of the building, Saputo also brings a unique air to the ancient barbershop.
“Women used to not be allowed in the barbershop,” Saputo said. “It’s a new thing. There are very few female barbers so that makes me unique from the other shops and to this building as well.”

Even with the remodeling of the barbershop and the new feeling Saputo brings, she claims that it is still the same shop for men to come to.

“It’s still that same barbershop for men,” Saputo said. “But it’s not an old school barbershop like it used to be.”

Not only does the modern feel of the barbershop guarantee the comfortableness of the customers, but Saputo also talks about how the location in Clayton makes her feel at ease.

“This shop has always been a barbershop since the 1930s which is one of the reasons why I chose to start my business here,” Saputo said. “Not to mention it’s very visible and the pedestrian activity makes it a great location. I love it here because it’s a neighborhood feel but you’re still in the city.”

To top it off, Saputo’s versatility in her haircuts is sure to bring success and satisfaction to customers.
“I can do any style of work,” Saputo said. “Clipperwork, sheers, full face, razor shaves with hot steam towels, color, and manicures. It’s a full service shop for men only.”

No matter the type of haircut, the prices remain between the affordable price range of $15 to $24, $15 for kids, $18 for college students, and $24 for adults. The shop is open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday to Friday, and 8:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday. Appointments can be made and walk-ins are also welcome.

Saputo reveals why she decided to become a barber and how it affected her current career.

“Being exposed to the Barber business from a family member gave me the idea and opportunity to become Barber stylist,” Saputo said.

Saputo is confident she will be as successful as the barbers she knows and believes that her shop will thrive for many years.

“It’s the only modern updated barbershop around here and I love this area,” Saputo said. “I look forward to becoming the new neighborhood barber stylist.”