Student run fashion show looking to be a success

This year’s entirely student-run Fashion Show at CHS will demonstrate to the Clayton community that teenagers can create fashion and run a successful fashion show.

The members of the CHS Fashion Club are preparing to create a night of fashion on March 5, when students will model other students’ fashion creations. Members of the club have been hard at work and are hopeful that this student-run fashion show will be successful.

The fashion show, held in Stuber Gym, will be on March 5. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and close at 7:30 p.m. The pre-party will start at 7 p.m., and the show will start at 8 p.m. Tickets cost $8 for students, $12 for adults, and $20 for VIP seating.

In previous years, the wardrobe classes have sponsored the semi-annual fashion show. However, due to the lack of wardrobe classes this year, the Fashion Club has taken it upon itself to sponsor the fashion show.

“The CHS Fashion Club is stepping in to make some magic,” president of Fashion Club Grace Brumley said. “Many fabulous and talented students are in the process of whipping out garments for the show. This year we decided to make the show unlike any CHS has seen before.”

Fashion Club has been hard at work for the past few months to make this totally student-run show happen. Having a club makes planning something like this more fun because each member has a ton of creative freedom.

The theme of the fashion show will be “Club Diamond.” Everything will be pink and silver, with a heavy Marilyn Monroe influence, which will highlight the student-made garments.

“Tons of retailers wanted their stuff in the show, but this fashion show is just about student work,” vice-president of Fashion Club Andie Glik said. “This show is a bunch of hard-working teenagers putting on display their creativity and work to benefit an organization, KUTO, a non-for-profit charity that helps suicidal kids our age.”

However, retailers, such as Brown Shoe Company, Paul Mitchell Hair Academy, Zeizo Boutique, Dos Resale Shop, and others, are sponsoring the fashion show. Junior student contributor Sydney Wright has been busy designing and sewing clothes to put in the fashion show.

“Mostly I have been focusing on designing and creating the clothes that I am putting in the show,” Wright said. “The clothes I have made so far are a three-quarter inch sleeve black velvet mini-dress and a sleeveless cream-colored backless dress. I am currently working on black harem pants, a royal blue one-shoulder dress, and a blazer.”

Fashion Club is preparing to make the show successful by staying focused, making improvements in plans and getting student ideas.

“There are new and different kids at every meeting, who all have something to say,” Brumley said. “I love this because my ideas aren’t always what is going to be best for the show. I need input from others to make this show the most successful.”

Freshman Wayne Sexton is the secretary of the Fashion Club, a very important role in the planning of the fashion show.
Brumley has been trying to keep everyone focused on achieving success.

“I’ve started collecting their finished garments early,” Brumley said. “We’ve had some pow-wows to ensure everyone is on board with the amount they’ll be putting on, when the deadlines are, and the quality of garments we expect. Every designer will be backstage with a needle, thread, and ripper in hand to make any last minute changes they feel are needed.”

Attendees can expect to see wearable high fashion at this show.

“This show is going to be like a New York City fashion show because all of us are trying to think out of the box and the clothes are ‘higher fashion’ designs instead of everyday wear,” Wright said. “We are not going to go full-on couture, though; we’re making clothes that can actually be worn.”

The show will be like New York Fashion week because there will be photo opportunities, a DJ (Clayton’s very own Josh Fagin, better known as Jay-Fay), VIP gift bags, a backstage, and a pre-party. The difference is that students under age 19 will design the clothes.

“Paparazzi will be everywhere, taking pre-party pictures and runway shots,” Brumley said. “This is the most upscale fashion show at Clayton yet. We’re ready to showcase every student’s talents and put on a show no one will forget.”

View Comments (1)
$150
$5000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Clayton High School. Our goal is to ensure every student and faculty member receives a print copy, and that we can continue to explore interactive storytelling mediums on this platform. Your donation also helps provide us with necessary equipment.