CHS weighs in on favorite cities

Graphic by Helen Wiley

With over 20,000 cities in the United States, most people must have one that appeals to them. Of course many love Clayton, MO, but others have different views of what cities fit their lifestyle.

The countryside spells stars, peace, and quiet for one teacher.

“I do miss seeing the stars at night, lying outside,” History teacher Kurtis Werner said. The town of Festus, just southwest of Clayton, has a vibe that attracts him every year.

“Festus was my hometown growing up and I miss the familiarity of my family, relatives, and friends,” Werner said. “The sites of West City Park on a Saturday run always makes me smile as I weave around the pond.”

Werner also said Festus is his place to go to buy his home necessities.

“It’s a growing southern city from the county with access to not only a Home Depot, but also a Lowe’s and a Do-It-yourself Center within sight,” Werner said. “It’s a home owners’ Mecca!”

As for the students, one student wanted a little bit more peace and quiet.

“I love Boulder, Colorado because the ski resorts are amazing and it isn’t as packed as Clayton is,” sophomore Isaac Ilivicky said.

The Boulder population is roughly around 100,000, while the population of St. Louis is around 350,000. Ilivicky loved the fresh air that surrounded the city of Boulder. His love of winter also gave an edge toward Boulder, as the winter season is a lot longer in Colorado.

While some prefer the stereotypical, suburban neighborhood, others love the bright lights or sounds of the beach. Thus, many favor those cities that are known to be very luxurious, such as Miami, Los Angeles, and more.

For one teacher, the beach swayed her to visit one city every year that excludes children from coming.

“Playa Del Carmen, Mexico, is a great little town right on the Gulf of Mexico,” said health teacher Melissa Hobick. “It is an easy three-hour flight and short bus ride to most resorts in Playa, plus the beach and water are amazing!”

The town of Playa Del Carmen displayed friendliness and great weather for Hobick.

“The people are really friendly and it is a great place to escape to relax,” Hobick said. “The weather is amazing and there are adult-only resorts, so no kids!”

She also said that this city holds even greater value for her because she got married on the beach in Playa Del Carmen. Still, though the beach may be a hotspot for many people, diversity and vast buildings suit another.

“I love Chicago because you can never stand still,” said math teacher Barbara Dobbert.  “The diversity and rich history of Chicago fascinates me as I have visited quite a few times before leaving when I was younger.”

She also concluded that people can’t stand still, not just because of the wind, but because there is always something to get your hands on.

In addition, CHS students loved the cities that had a lot of activities affiliated with them.

“The bright lights of Los Angeles fascinate me, as I have always wanted to visit Staples Center,” junior Kellen Green said.

He also said the consistent warm weather in Los Angeles is satisfying, as St. Louis receives the most unpredictable weather patterns.

Sophomore William Wysession said that the “Big Apple” was his favorite city.

“I love New York because everywhere you turn, the motion yields a sense of purposefulness and achievement,” Wysession said.

He also stated that no matter where you are, there is always something you can do or somewhere you can go, including going out to eat, watching Broadway musicals, or just roaming the streets of Times Square.

Another student said Boston, Massachusetts, was the most prestigious.

“Boston is the best city in America because it’s my hometown and there are places such as Charlestown and Harvard Square,” sophomore Jon Kibel said.

Students and teachers have a city that they would love to live in, all of which have their specific advantages and disadvantages. With all different tastes in what CHS teachers and students prefer, this school might just be so diverse that its members may run out of cities to choose from.