Glee attempts to modernize classics, ruins favorite songs

Since September 2009, “Glee” has become one of the most popular television shows in America.

It has captured audiences nationwide with its exciting plot and fun, musical numbers that give it an interesting twist.

However, even though I will admit “Glee” for the most part has successfully remade many classics, there comes a time where I, as an ex-fan, draw the line.

Anna Williams
Graphic by Anna Williams

Remaking songs such their signature song “Don’t Stop Believin’” as well as “Somebody to Love” and “Like a Prayer” are perfect songs to do with a large ensemble. I even thought that “What I did for Love” from “A Chorus Line” was appropriate for a large group to sing and it was very well done by the cast.

However, the problem that I have with “Glee” is when they start remaking songs from classic musicals such as “Singin’ in the Rain’.

Few could forget the original featuring the amazing Gene Kelly and his supporting actors, Donald O’Connor and Debbie Reynolds. That movie for me symbolizes everything that used to be good in the world.

Before, people actually had talent and could sing without the help of recording studios.

The music was also more complex and upbeat, instead of having a club beat or some other sort of techno spin on the song.

Needless to say, because of my obvious love for the classic, when “Glee” mixed “Singin’ in the Rain” with “Umbrella” by Rihanna, I felt like the classic had been completely ruined.

First of all, Gwyneth Paltrow, although very talented in her own right, does not have a fraction of the voice that Rihanna has.

Secondly, the fact that “Glee” mixed a current R&B song with a classic song from an iconic musical does not make sense.

Remixing this well-known song takes away from the original impact of it. “Singin’ in the Rain” was originally meant to upbeat and joyful, as it expressed Don Lockwood’s love for his leading lady, Kathy Selden.

It is impossible to sing a song like this to an R&B beat and have it turn out well.

“Glee” did not stop there, however. The show also remade “Make ‘Em Laugh” originally performed by Donald O’Connor in “Singin’ in the Rain”.

This, personally, is one of my favorite numbers in any musical, and no one, not even the talented Matthew Morrison, can remake this song and dance number the way Donald O’Connor did.

Proof of this is on the screen. If you watch the original number and then watch the “Glee” version, you can tell the dancers were so generic they had to use watered down dance moves from the original version of the number, instead of making it their own.

Long story short: It did not make me laugh, nor did it impress me.

Furthermore, it is my firm belief that you cannot touch Gene Kelly or Donald O’Connor or any other icons that they have attempted to imitate.

Trying to do so is only spoiling the classics for younger generations.

Even though some viewers have heard the original songs that the show remakes, a vast majority of the younger viewers have not.

I myself was a Gleek last year and the reason I fell in love with Barbra Streisand in “Funny Girl” was because I saw the number to “Don’t Rain on my Parade” while watching the first season finale.

However, the younger audiences sees “Glee” remake classic songs from well-known musicals and many are unaware of how great the original versions are.

Even if they did listen and view the original song and dance number, I would bet that a majority would prefer the “Glee” version as opposed to the original because they would consider it too old and dull compared to the upbeat, modern versions that “Glee” is doing.

Overall the younger generation, especially those in middle school, is easily swayed to like what they think is ‘cool’, and the thing that is ‘cool’ right now, unfortunately, is “Glee.”

Bottom line is that these musicals may be oldies, but they’re also goodies. Don’t dismiss them simply because they are older or from a different era.

Most people don’t understand that their age is part of what makes them so special and unique.  We should embrace the past, not try to modernize it.

View Comments (1)
$150
$5000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Clayton High School. Our goal is to ensure every student and faculty member receives a print copy, and that we can continue to explore interactive storytelling mediums on this platform. Your donation also helps provide us with necessary equipment.