2015 Globe Staff MLB Predictions

. B. Forbes, MCT Campus

Matt Carpenter rounds the bases after hitting a postseason home run for the St. Louis Cardinals.

Matt Carpenter rounds the bases after hitting a postseason home run for the St. Louis Cardinals
J. B. Forbes, MCT Campus

It’s opening night tonight for the MLB, and die-hard fans of the St. Louis Cardinals have longed for winter to end, and for baseball season to start.  When the first pitch of the Cardinals vs Cubs game is thrown, it will mark the beginning of another MLB season, but also, the pitch will also represent a rivalry renewed.  Cardinals vs Cubs is one of the most historic rivalries in all of sports, and for the first time in quite a few years, both teams seem to have formidable futures.  It’s another season of baseball.  More freshly cut grass, passionate fans, and processed, but timeless, stadium hot dogs.  As another season comes to a start, members of the Globe staff have made their predictions on the standings of each MLB team, along with playoff predictions through the World Series.  We’re excited, like many other Cardinals fans, about the rejuvenated Cardinals vs Cubs rivalry, along with the many other story lines that will come out of the 2015 MLB season.  Another MLB season is about to be under way, and there’s lots to look forward to.

Kevin Rosenthal, Sports Section Editor

AL EAST:

Orioles  91-71  (2)

Blue Jays  87-75

Red Sox 84-78

Yankees 74-88

Rays  72-90

The O’s shocked the baseball world last season when they won the competitive AL East by an overwhelming 12 game margin.  While the Orioles did lose some key players this offseason, many of their top sluggers who were injured or suspended last season will return in 2015 and should help the O’s secure their second straight AL East division title.  Watch out for Travis Snider, acquired via trade with Pittsburgh over the offseason to have a large impact on the O’s.  The Toronto Blue Jays have one of the most intriguing rosters in the league.  The top half of their lineup very well may be the best in the MLB, while the bottom half of the order may be the very worst.  It’s an interesting juxtaposition that will cause the Blue Jays to finish with about the same record as last season.  Although Boston certainly made some strides this offseason, I am not nearly as sold on this team as other people are.  Boston’s rotation is no good, and I see this Red Sox team looking more similar to the 90 loss team of last year than the world champion team of 2013.  I think this is the year it all goes down in flames for the Yankees.  I just don’t see what the Yankees can accomplish with their current roster.  Their rotation is a mess, and their team is just too old.  The Bronx Bombers will miss the playoffs for the third year in a row.  The Rays, when healthy, have one of the best rotations in the American League.  Unfortunately, their starting hurlers are unhealthy, and the Rays are now without their manager/guru of awesomeness Joe Maddon and their front office mastermind Andrew Friedman.  Nothing special happening this year in Tampa.

AL CENTRAL:

Tigers  90-72  (3)

White Sox  89-73  (5)

Indians  86-76

Royals  79-83

Twins  71-91

The AL Central is the most intriguing division in the MLB, so it kills me to be making the most boring and obvious pick possible.  I have lots of concerns about this Tigers roster long-term, but I think Detroit will pull out one more division title, their fifth in five seasons, before it goes downhill for the Tigers.  For the first time in a few years, there is excitement to be had on the South side of Chicago.  The White Sox spent some big money on some good players this offseason, and their acquisitions will pay off, as the White Sox will clinch their first playoff berth with Robin Ventura as their manager.  The Indians are a sexy pick to make the playoffs this year, but I’m just not convinced this team is as talented as some of the other top playoff contenders.  The Tribe will fall just short of the postseason again this year.  I believed in the Royals all of last season when they made their magical World Series run, but I think poor offseason moves will keep them from heading back to the postseason in 2015.  Their bullpen will still be a juggernaut, but the overall team is not good enough to return to the playoffs.  The Twins have a long-term plan that includes lots of prospects, but Minnesota is nowhere close to being a contender yet.  It will be another disappointing season for the Twins.

AL WEST:

A’s  94-68  (1)

Mariners  92-70  (4)

Angels  88-74

Astros  83-79

Rangers  68-94

I haven’t found a single person who agrees with me on this pick, but I believe in Billy Beane and his Moneyball approach to winning games.  Yes, the A’s lost Jon Lester, Josh Donaldson, and Jeff Samardzija, among others, over the offseason, but in the 2002 season when the A’s had just lost their top three players to free agency, Oakland responded by winning 103 games with a bunch of no-names on their roster.  We are living Moneyball Part II, and I think the A’s will end up with the best record in the American League.  I love the Mariners roster, and they have become a very popular pick to make the playoffs.  GM Jack Zdurencik made a lot of moves over the last two offseasons that will pay off for the Mariners, as Seattle will make their first playoff appearance since 2001.  The Angels, who had a very impressive 2014 campaign, will take a big step back this year.  Players like Josh Hamilton, C.J. Wilson, and Albert Pujols are making a disgustingly high amount of money, and most of the Angels’ top players have not played to their expected level.  I really like the direction in which the Astros are heading.  After years of frustration in Houston, the Astros will take a step forward with lots of big bats in the lineup.  Their poor pitching will stop them from being playoff contenders this season, but give it one more year, and the Astros just may be playing October baseball.  David Freese’s heroics for the Cardinals in Game 6 of the 2011 World Series against the Texas Rangers will continue to haunt baseball fans in Dallas, as the Rangers finish last in the AL West for the second consecutive season.  A change in leadership in the dugout will serve the Rangers well, now that Ron Washington has parted ways with Texas, but the Rangers are nowhere close to returning to the postseason.

NL EAST:

Nationals  97-65  (1)

Marlins  90-72  (5)

Mets  80-82

Braves  71-91

Phillies  61-101

The Nats look poised to dominate the NL East for the third time in four seasons.  Fans in the nation’s capital will watch as the best starting rotation in baseball leads the Nats to MLB’s best regular season record.  The Marlins won’t be able to catch the Nationals for a division title, but after a great offseason re-build, Miami will shine on the field this year.  The Fish have a dynamic lineup, and after many dismal years of baseball in South Florida, the Marlins will return to the postseason in 2015.  The Mets are one big move from truly contending for a playoff spot.  The Mets are a team on the rise, and New York’s starting rotation is solid, but lack of power in the lineup will be problematic for the Mets in the pitcher-friendly Citi Field.  The Braves traded away three of their top sluggers this offseason in Justin Upton, Jason Heyward, and Evan Gattis.  While Atlanta still has some talented players on their roster, and a good mix of veterans and youngsters, it feels as though the Braves don’t have the will to compete until 2017, when their new stadium will be completed.  The chances of Atlanta contending this year are awfully bleak.  All the times Phillies GM Ruben Amaro, Jr. has insisted that rebuilding his team is not the answer have finally caught up to him.  The Phillies are set to have a trainwreck of a season in 2015.

NL CENTRAL:

Cardinals  93-69  (2)

Pirates  91-71  (4)

Cubs  85-77

Brewers  77-85

Reds  73-89

The Cardinals have been the most consistent team in the MLB over the past decade.  This season will be no exception, as the Cards will to continue in their winning ways, clinching their fifth straight postseason berth, and sitting atop the NL Central for the third consecutive season.  Losing Russell Martin this offseason will definitely hurt the Pirates’ chance of making a World Series run, but Pittsburgh still has a solid roster.  I think the Pirates sneak into the playoffs as the second wild card.  The Chicago Cubs are generating lots of excitement in the baseball world.  With a phenomenal core of young players, and Joe Maddon at the helm of the team in Chicago, the Cubs should have lot of success in the next few seasons.  The Cubbies will fall short of the playoffs this season, but the future looks bright for Chicago.  I think Milwaukee has a decent team, and it was proven last year that the Brewers could compete, as they had control of the NL Central for the majority of the 2014 season.  The Brewers seem to be a few pieces away from really being in the hunt, however, and so Milwaukee is stuck in a state of perpetual mediocrity.  Cincinnati’s window of opportunity to win a championship with their current core has closed.  The Reds were a dominant team in the NL Central a few years ago, but now are being utterly mismanaged, both in the front office and on the field.  No signs of improvement for this Reds team after a disappointing 2014 season.

NL WEST:

Padres  89-73  (3)

Dodgers  86-76

Giants  78-84

Rockies  70-92

Diamondbacks  67-95

The entire culture around San Diego Padres baseball was completely revitalized this offseason with new General Manager A.J. Preller. Preller wasted no time re-building his team, as the Padres unexpectedly made the biggest splash of any team this offseason, through blockbuster trades and big signings.  A.J. Preller, who graduated from Cornell University with a degree in economics, emulates that bright young minds can dominate baseball thinking.  I think San Diego will run away with the NL West, shocking the seemingly almighty Dodgers and the defending World Series champion Giants.  The Dodgers have another good team going into the 2015 year, but what many are calling a great offseason for the Dodgers, I’m calling detrimental.  It’s a bold pick to not put LA in the postseason, but I simply disagree with the front office’s decisions about personnel.  I think the Dodgers would win more games if they started minor league prospects, (who are ready to play in The Show), Corey Seager (SS) and Alexander Guerrero (2B) than the for veteran infielders they traded for, Jimmy Rollins (SS) and Howie Kendrick (2B).  The Giants missed the playoffs in 2009, won the World Series in 2010, missed the playoffs in 2011, won the World Series in 2012, missed the playoffs in 2013, won the World Series in 2014.  So, the Giants miss the playoffs in 2015.  Oh, and the mean age for San Francisco Giants pitchers other than Madison Bumgarner is about 63, and they lost a certain panda at third base.  The Rockies will get off to a hot start for the first month or two, as they usually do, making the baseball world wonder if everything they thought they knew about baseball could be defied by this Rockies team, and then they will remember that the best pitcher they have is Kyle Kendricks (who barely cracked the Phillies rotation last year, which is a joke because, well, they’re the Phillies), and then the Rockies will be lucky to scrape up 70 wins.  There are bright spots in the Diamondbacks lineup and pitching staff, but what could be costly with the hire of Dave Stewart as GM, who after trading Miguel Montero insisted the team would not pursue another catcher and would start Tuffy Gosewisch behind the plate.  Come on.  When your team’s starting catcher is named Tuffy Gosewisch, you know you’re gonna lose a lot of baseball games.

WILD CARD ROUND:

Mariners over White Sox

Marlins over Pirates

DIVISIONAL ROUND:

(4) Mariners over (1) A’s in 5

(3) Tigers over (2) Orioles in 4

(4) Marlins over (1) Nationals in 4

(2) Cardinals over (3) Padres in 3

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND:

Tigers over Mariners in 7

Marlins over Cardinals in 6

WORLD SERIES:

Marlins over Tigers in 7

The Miami Marlins as World Series champions?  It may sound a bit crazy now, but the Marlins have only been to the playoffs twice in their franchise history, in 1997, and 2003, and both times they went on to win the World Series.  Wild card teams have had lots of success in the playoffs over the last few seasons.  Anything can happen in October baseball…

Noah Brown, Reporter

AL EAST:

Baltimore Orioles 96-66  (2)

Boston Red Sox 92-70  (4)

Toronto Blue Jays 81-81

New York Yankees 79-83

Tampa Bay Rays 73-89

AL CENTRAL:

Detroit Tigers 93-69  (3)

Cleveland Indians 90-72  (5)

Kansas City Royals 86-76

Chicago White Sox 80-82

Minnesota Twins    68-94

AL WEST:

Seattle Mariners 96-66  (1)

Los Angeles Angels 90-72

Oakland Athletics 87-75

Houston Astros 81-81

Texas Rangers 72-90

NL EAST:

Washington Nationals 99-63  (1)

Miami Marlins 87-75

New York Mets 80-82

Atlanta Braves 75-87

Philadelphia Phillies 63-99

NL CENTRAL:

Pittsburgh Pirates 98-64  (2)

St. Louis Cardinals 90-72  (4)

Chicago Cubs 85-77

Milwaukee Brewers 80-82

Cincinnati Reds 75-87

NL WEST:

Los Angeles Dodgers 97-65  (3)

San Diego Padres 89-73  (5)

San Francisco Giants 85-77

Colorado Rockies 78-84

Arizona Diamondbacks 64-98

WILD CARD ROUND:

Indians over Red Sox

Cardinals over Padres

DIVISIONAL ROUND:

Mariners over Indians in 5

Orioles over Tigers in 4

Nationals over Cards in 4

Dodgers over Pirates in 5

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND:

Mariners over Orioles in 5

Nationals over Dodgers in 4

WORLD SERIES:

Nationals over Mariners in 6

Peter Baugh, Editor in Chief

AL EAST:

Red Sox 99-63  (1)

Orioles  84-78

Blue Jays 82-80

Yankees  78-84

Rays 71-91

Despite a terrible 2014, the Red Sox have put themselves in a position for a dominant 2015.  The Yankees are in trouble.  Baltimore and Toronto are the only other teams I could see making a playoff push.

AL CENTRAL:

Royals  89-63  (3)

Indians 88-64  (5)

Tigers  86-76

White Sox  75-87

Twins 73-89

The Indians could emerge as one of the league’s top teams.  The Royals and Tigers both have potential and could make a run at the division.

AL WEST:

Mariners  94-68  (2)

Angels  89-63  (4)

A’s  83-81

Rangers  70-92

Astros  69-93

Seattle’s pitching will shine, Mike Trout will be Mike Trout and the A’s will probably mess up everyone’s perdictions.

NL EAST:

Nationals  96-66  (1)

Marlins  88-64  (5)

Mets 79-83

Braves 76-86

Phillies 68-94

Washington will excel due to great pitching.  Miami is an interesting team with some of the best young talent in the game.  Matt Harvey will dominate coming back from an injury.

NL CENTRAL:

Cardinals  93-69  (3)

Pirates  89-73  (4)

Cubs  83-79

Brewers  78-84

Reds  76-86

The Cardinals are built to win now.  The Cubs need two more seasons to develop talent.  The Pirates will be solid but no one will stop St. Louis.

NL WEST:

Dodgers  94-68  (2)

Giants  87-75

Padres  81-81

Rockies  78-84

Diamondbacks  75-87

The Dodgers have too many good pitchers not to be good.  The Giants will take a step back and the Padres will not have the pitching to go along with their defense.

WILD CARD ROUND:

Indians over Angels

Marlins over Pirates

DIVISIONAL ROUND:

Red Sox over Indians

Mariners over Royals

Nationals over Marlins

Cardinals over Dodgers

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND:

Mariners over Red Sox

Cardinals over Nationals

WORLD SERIES:

Mariners over Cardinals in 6

Max Steinbaum, Sports Section Editor

AL EAST:

Orioles 96-66  (1)

Blue Jays 86-76

Yankees 83-79

Red Sox 77-85

Rays 70-92

AL CENTRAL:

White Sox 90-72  (3)

Indians 88-74  (5)

Royals 86-76

Tigers 83-79

Twins 69-93

AL WEST:

Mariners 92-70  (2)

A’s 89-73  (4)

Angels 85-77

Astros 65-97

Rangers 60-102

NL EAST:

Nationals 95-67  (2)

Marlins 86-76

Mets 81-81

Braves 76-86

Phillies 68-94

NL CENTRAL:

Cardinals 92-70  (3)

Cubs 91-71  (4)

Pirates 85-77

Brewers 79-83

Reds 66-96

NL WEST:

Padres 95-67  (1)

Dodgers 90-72  (5)

Giants 82-80

Rockies 73-89

D-Backs 66-96

WILD CARD ROUND:

Indians over A’s

Pirates over Dodgers
DIVISIONAL ROUND:

(2) Mariners over (3) White Sox in 4

(1) Orioles over (5) Indians in 5

(3) Cardinals over (2) Nationals in 5

(4) Cubs over (1) Padres in 5

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND:

Orioles over Mariners in 7

Cardinals over Cubs in 6

WORLD SERIES:

Cardinals over Orioles in 6