Editor’s Letter: Beyond academic excellence

What defines a Clayton education?

Today, the School District of Clayton is seeking to answer this question through a comprehensive, five-month process called Clayton360 that will honor the history, involve the community, and refine the mission, vision, and core values of the District.

At the beginning of the Feb. 15 kick-off event for Clayton360, an audience of parents, teachers, students, and members of the community were provided note cards to respond to the question, What do you value about the School District of Clayton?

asd
As we look forward as a District, we must remember what makes us unique. (Zach Praiss)

At first, I stared blankly at my note card, overwhelmed by the seemingly insurmountable task of encompassing my entire 13 years of education in the District into a few words.  My mind swirled with phrases such as academic excellence, commitment to diversity, community involvement, and individual focus.  In hearing from other members of the audience, I quickly realized how the list is rightfully infinite as each of us answers this question based on our own experiences in the District.

Nevertheless, I believe the event shed light on some of the shared values we have for a Clayton education.  The large, diverse, and multi-aged audience of parents, students, alumni, and faculty members served as a testament to the fact that we all value the involvement of the community in preserving a high standard of academic excellence in Clayton.

Yet I believe the definition of a Clayton education goes beyond just a rigorous academic environment that can be measured through various test scores.  Clayton is more than just a number. Our high average score on the ACT, our unprecedented number of national merit scholars and our consistently high scores on AP tests reveal only part of the full Clayton education.

To be honest, many school districts offer an excellent education for all their students.  However, what makes Clayton unique is the focus on not only the achievement of the collective student body, but also, the continued commitment to providing each individual student with a full learning experience.  At Clayton it’s not necessarily about just what you’re doing in class, but also, about what you’re doing outside of the classroom.  At all levels from the elementary schools through CHS, the District is committed to motivating all its students to go above and beyond their education, and develop a well-rounded character.

A Clayton education caters to the individual interest of all students.  Whether it’s advanced college courses, language, music, theater, journalism, debate, mock trial, engineering, or an abundance of clubs and student organizations that couldn’t even all fit on pages 13 through 15 of this magazine, Clayton provides all of its students with the opportunity to nurture their passions in life.  In the end, students have the freedom, resources, and facilities to explore and pursue their passions.

As we look forward with budget cuts looming in the near future as outlined in this issue’s Cover Story, lets remember what defines Clayton and stay true to our core values, understanding that what makes us unique as a District is that we strive to provide each student with an outstanding academic education that opens the door to endless opportunities to pursue your passions in life.