Give Us a Break

After the United States Women’s Gymnastics team won the gold medal, they huddled in a circle and chanted ‘U.S.A.’ in a display of togetherness.When we watch compelling moments like these, politics are the last things on our minds. We do not think of the distinctions between ‘conservatives’ or ‘liberals’ – we just think of ourselves as Americans. We have pride for our country.However, when we watch the Olympics, that unity is often lost during commercial breaks spewing ads from various political candidates. These ads remind people of grudges they feel against the candidates and parties, and can sometimes lead to vulgar language directed at the television set.Ads such as these should be banned during the Olympics. Unfortunately, this is little more than wishful thinking. As the Presidential elections approach, we must accept that nasty political advertisements will be run. Political candidates should remember that there is a time and a place for everything, and during the Olympics certainly is not the time.

Politics split the nation, causing arguments and sometimes ruin relationships between friends and family members. The Olympics should be a time to high five the person nearest you at a restaurant. It should be a time to hug a family member, even if he or she sees Obama’s Health Care Plan in a different way than you.

These political advertisements are taking away from the pride we have in our country by reminding us that there is a fundamental divide among some of us. With political ads blaring non-stop, the unity the Olympics should give us is as far away as London.

Illustrations by Kurt Strazdins