Meeting Ann Romney

Ann Romney, wife of former Governor Mitt Romney, speaking at CPAC 2011 in Washington, D.C. (Gage Skidmore/Wikimedia Commons)

My father and I watched the presidential debate as if it were the thriller of the century. As an active member in politics, my father has never been afraid to showcase his feelings on tough issues – whether it be debating with his friends, or screaming at the TV during dinner.

As the debate ended, he announced that he was meeting Ann Romney the next day. The woman I had seen on the screen only five minutes before was expected to arrive in St. Louis on Oct. 4 to host a private fundraising event at the Chase Park Plaza – and my dad was one of the invites.

I, of course, invited myself, and after a few phone calls, I was in. We were among the first to arrive. Middle-aged folk stood in clusters conversing with one another, drinks in hand. I clung to my father as I nervously made my way around the room. Working our way through the crowd, certain people stuck out.

Billy Long, a U.S. Representative for Missouri’s 7th congressional district was a funny man. Our conversation ranged from Nascar racing to the heavy topic of the national debt. He gave me a plastic coin with the emblem of the U.S. on it, and words written across the top, “U.S. House of Representatives.”“Probably worth more than the U.S. dollar nowadays,” he joked.

I was also introduced to Peter Kinder, the Lieutenant Governor of Missouri. He described what he does at work, and my dad and him spoke about the presidential debate the previous night.

After an hour had passed, Ann Romney walked in the door. The crowd turned to acknowledge her.

She thanked those in attendance for their support, “How about last night’s debate?”

Everyone cheered. She spoke of Mitt and how many people interpret him as being aloof and robotic, but she emphasized how caring he is.

“The media has been so unfair to us, and I’m so glad that last night everyone got to see Mitt without a filter.”

She made her way around the room, making sure to greet everyone there. When my moment came, we briefly shook hands, while my father expressed that doctors were on Romney’s side.

We were escorted upstairs, where we were joined by a larger group and I was able to get a photo with the hopeful first lady.

Being Republican in Clayton is hard. Oftentimes, teachers and students are very Democratic and I can hear it when they talk about politics. I don’t speak up often about my political beliefs in school, because the word “Republican” often has judgments and accusations attached to it. Not everyone who identifies with the Republican party identifies with every belief the party has. Republicans encourage small government, and have the desire to help the country, just as Democrats do.

Democrats and Republicans share many differences, but the most important thing is that they both have a love for America and hope for the best in the upcoming election.