In Your Words: The End Of The World

Dec. 21 came and went, and the world remained intact. The supposed end of the Mayan calendar led many CHS students to celebrate their possible last moments on Earth. Editor Peter Baugh talked with a few of these students to see what they did to celebrate the event.

Wayne Yang photographed the sun rising over Kansas City from Kaw Point in Kansas City, Kansas, on the last day of the Mayan Calendar, Friday, December 21, 2012. (John Sleezer/Kansas City Star/MCT)

What did you do on Dec. 21, the night the world was supposed to end?

“I ate dinner and watched a movie with my family and had a good time with them.” -Doren Lan, junior

“We just had a big party, we had a Street Fighter

tournament, watched a couple movies, watched some TV. That is basically it, we just played a lot of games and waited for the world to end.” -Simran Singh, sophomore

“We just went and played a bunch of games with some friends, and celebrated the end of the world and the end of the semester.” -Abbie Kohmetscher, junior

“I was in bed, I was sick, I had a sore throat. However, I still was tracking the time, because I heard something was going to happen at 6:00 a.m., and then I was on facebook and heard something was supposed to happen at 12:00 a.m., so I was on facebook all night.” -Justin Atkinson, senior

“Some friends and I went to a Chinese buffet in Chesterfield for an end of the world feast.” -Griffin Reed, junior