After School Activities Canceled

On Dec. 13, only a few minutes before the 3:00 bell was about to ring, the school announcement suddenly turned on. Principal Dan Gutchewsky announced that all after-school activities would be canceled. This cancellation was caused by the bad weather conditions was were starting to appear near the end of the school day.

The sky had turned dark, and it was starting to rain. Weather forecasts predicted worse, or even dangerous, weather to follow. In order to keep Clayton students as safe as possible, the Clayton administration made the decision to cancel all after-school activities so that students could to home earlier and avoid the bad weather.

This decision was made by Gutchewsky and the Clayton administration at around 2:30 pm.

Along with all of the clubs, sports, and practices, a very important Speech and Debate tournament was also canceled. The Speech and Debate team had been planning to participate in the Pattonville Invitational. For students taking the Forensics class, this tournament would have been considered their mid-final.

Fortunately, many other schools who were participating in the Pattonville Invitational also dropped out due to the bad weather, so the tournament would have been much less interesting even if Clayton did not cancel. The entire tournament may even be canceled because of how many schools dropped out.

Even though Clayton students still did not receive a snow day for the weather today, this will probably be the closest to a snow day before the end of the first semester.