‘Sweeney Todd’ presents challenge, creative opportunity for actors

Despite the eccentricity and challenge of the upcoming CHS musical, this performance will showcase the talents of the many actors.

Although the musical “Sweeney Todd” is going to be performed Feb. 17-21, 2010, those involved are already preparing for the challenge of this unique musical. This horror musical is renowned for its bloody yet comical plot about a mysterious man seeking revenge.

The music of “Sweeney Todd,” which is composed by Steven Sondheim, is more complicated than most plays, in order to capture the mood of the characters.

“’Sweeney Todd’ is all about capturing the mood of its characters, and not necessarily about being flashy or a showstopper,” lead actor and junior John Holland said. “The music, the dialogue, and the set and the lights all contribute to what Sondheim wanted to show the audience, even if it might not be what the audience wants to see or hear. Not many people want to see people getting their throats slit.”

The play does involve slitting throats, the way the barber gets his revenge. However, unlike the Tim Burton version of the musical, “Sweeney Todd” will not be as gory, although there will be some blood.

“Our production is not going to be that graphic and gory,” theatre director Kelley Ryan said. “If you get woozy from blood, you can still see the show.”

This year, auditions were early in the school year so the actors could prepare for the challenging music and acting that “Sweeney Todd” presents.

“The challenge is acting in a way that will tell a dark story, and singing with a discernable edge to your voice to set the suspense and horror in the play,” Holland said. “Everyone has to do it, of course, which is the biggest stipulation, because otherwise the spell is broken even if one person forgets his place in this dystopian London society. Everything has to reflect the mood of the characters and of the story.”

Choral member and sophomore Emily Erblich thinks that the music is difficult to learn.

“It can be really difficult what with all the rapid changes in tempo and, oh, so many notes,” Erblich said. “It can be difficult to keep up, but there always is help if anyone needs it.”

Holland agrees, admitting learning the music is tough.

“The notes aren’t usually dictated by the melody, but by the mood,” Holland said. “Everything is centered on the mood. I suspect taming a rhinoceros would be easier than learning this music.”

Actress and junior Sarah McAfee also believes the acting and the music is complicated.

“Stephen Sondheim’s music has extremely difficult rhythms and strange melodies,” McAfee said. “Everyone sounds great, though. We’ve all been working really hard to learn our music. We all worked over winter break to memorize our songs so that we can get into rehearsals pretty intensely now and get the show moving.  The subject matter is also a little tricky; it’s a pretty dark storyline, not your classic ‘Broadway baby’ type of show.”

Ryan admits it is one of the more challenging plays musically.

“This is why we decided to cast the play members early,” Ryan said. “This is a show you can only do when you have a crop of really talented kids. For this musical, they can’t just be pretty singers; they also have to be strong actors.”

Stage manager and sophomore Georgina Kluser has to be at every rehearsal to make sure everyone knows their lines, to help with props and much more. She believes that rehearsals are running smoothly, but overall, the cast could use more time.

“There are many things still to learn lines and dances,” Kluser said. “But since we had two snow days, we have to squeeze more into one day, which makes the rehearsals a lot longer.”

Holland, who plays the lead and insane character Sweeney Todd, prepares for the challenges of depicting his character in a way that is agreeable to Ryan, Sondheim’s style, and himself.

“I have to think about how to depict Sweeney Todd in a way that Sondheim wanted, but also keeping with how Mrs. Ryan is putting on the show,” Holland said. “If they conflict, I must go with Mrs. Ryan, since not being congruent can destroy any play, this one being especially dangerous to be inconsistent in. For me, I generally don’t think about taking revenge this much, so I must generate Todd’s mentality as I see it in Mrs. Ryan’s directing and in Sondheim’s words, but also in my own opinion. One cannot act without thinking about how you can perform the part as you see it. In this show, I must delve deeper into my character to deliver a thought-provoking performance, and again I must increase the mood to a level tangible to anyone in the audience.”

McAfee plays the lead character, Mrs. Lovett, who does not fit the classic mold of the lead character.

“Mrs. Lovett is… different,” McAfee said. “She has some serious physiological issues and ideas that eventually involve Sweeney Todd and baking people into pies. She’s kind of diabolical, but so is Sweeney. They are some of the less-kind people in the show.”

Erblich, who is a part of the chorus, is very excited about the play.

“This play isn’t your average high school musical,” Erblich said. “It’s dark, but it’s going to be so much fun.”

McAfee also is enthused about the upcoming play.

“We’re on our way to what should be a fantastic show,” McAfee said.

Kluser believes this will be a play long remembered in CHS history.

“It’s going to be incredible,” Kluser said. “CHS will see how hard we have been working and be very shocked and surprised when they come see it. We have a great talented cast. You are going to be blown away.”