Stepping Up to the Plate

Lee Laskowski

Summer Jacobs on the mound facing Brentwood

Mariclare Gatter, Page Editor

Freshmen Summer Jacobs, the pitcher on this years Girls Varsity Softball team, recently decided to join the baseball team at CHS. Jacobs will be joining the team next year as a shortstop/second baseman in the spring of her sophomore year. While it is unusual to see a female student on a high school level baseball team, Jacobs made the process of joining the team sound fairly easy in an interview. “I talked to Mr. Bone and he said that girls had done it in the past so I could do it” said Jacobs.

For Jacobs, the decision to join the team was somewhat of a

Lee Laskowski

no brainer. Having played softball since she was a kindergartener, her love for the game far outweighs any doubts about being the only female student on the team.

Jacobs started playing softball when she was six and has continued ever since. “I started T-ball on a Clayton Rec. team” said Jacobs “and that’s when I really figured out that it was the sport I wanted to do.” Since then, Jacobs has played on several select and recreational teams, and her love for softball has only grown.

While Jacobs has not played on a baseball team before, she has been a valuable player on softball teams in the past. During the softball season this past fall, Summer lead the team in stolen bases and pitched a successful season which included one shutout. Jacobs is excited to make the transition from softball to baseball next year. In Jacob’s opinion “everybody is playing the same sport. The only dramatic difference is gender, but it shouldn’t matter because regardless the best team will win.”