Alex Bernard: Leadership Award

Cosima Thomas, Reporter

Alex Bernard with the award she won.

She’s the editor in chief of the award winning Globe newspaper, co-captain of the unstoppable junior varsity tennis team, performer for the annual winter and spring musicals, member of the National Honors Society, a piano player, a singer, and the latest recipient of the Saint Louis County Outstanding Student Leadership Award. She is none other than Alex Bernard, a senior at Clayton High School.

Last Spring, the Clayton Administration selected one student who they believed embodied the role of leadership at Clayton High School; Alex Bernard was that student. Previous recipients of this award have been Jeffery Friedman, who graduated last May and Carly Beard, who graduated in 2014.

In September, the Award Foundation held a conference at Washington University for the nominees.

“Every school district in Saint Louis sent a representative; there were about fifty students. We wrote up grant proposals. There were six groups and we all came up with a different proposal and presented it at the end of the day. I was placed in the Job Market Group. We were trying to look at ways to make Saint Louis a more preferable city for young people looking for jobs here. After that we came to the Clayton City Hall and there was a ceremony where they called our name and read our achievements and we got a certificate,” Bernard said.

Bernard would like to thank the school Administration for the nomination. She also relays a message to the student body, “Everybody can be a leader in their own way.” Although we foresee more awards in Bernard’s future, she is determined to make the most out of the present. “What’s next for me is the musical, that’s really the next thing on my radar,” Bernard said.