Gray Hairs and Political Affairs

The Globe’s perspective on America’s aging government
Charlie Meyers

Within the past century, America has strived for diversity. The equality movement fueled better representation of race, ethnicity and gender in private and public sectors. Lawmakers put Civil Rights legislation in place to prohibit discrimination, educational institutions used affirmative action to bolster diversity, and businesses have implemented inclusion initiatives to promote diversity in the workplace. With each passing decade, America is progressively mirroring the diverse makeup of our nation across various sectors and settings.

But what about age?

If President Joe Biden completes his first term, he will be 82, and should he be re-elected, he will be 86 at the end of his second term. This would make him the oldest president in U.S. history, which raises questions about the physical and mental demands of the presidency in relation to age.

In addition, former president and leading Republican candidate for the upcoming term, Donald Trump, is right below Biden at 77 years old. The old age of politicians has become the norm. Often, Americans don’t think twice about the geriatric state of most political candidates. However, we do.

According to the 2022 census, the age gap between political leadership and constituents is striking. While the average eligible U.S. voter is a youthful 38.9 years old, and the average registered voter is 52.6, our leaders often surpass these ages by decades.

As for Congress, the average member of the House is 57.9 years old and the average senator is 65.3 years, according to the Pew Research Center. Our current congress is the oldest it has ever been, with eight members of Congress born in the 1930s. 

Why don’t we talk about equity in age? The very people who are elected to represent us grew up in an America that was different from ours. How are they able to govern in a way that considers our perspectives?

They can’t. 

As technology advances at a rapid pace, it profoundly impacts all aspects of American life, including legislation. Yet, according to a 2014 Pew Research Center survey, only 23% of U.S. adults aged 65 and older felt confident about using electronic devices such as smartphones. Given that the average age of a Congress member is 57.6 years, this raises questions about their familiarity with and understanding of the technologies they’re legislating. For example, if many struggle with the latest smartphone updates, how prepared are they to vote on complex tech-related issues?

Evidence of our Congress failure in technology came during last year’s TikTok hearing. Viral video clips, such as those featuring politicians struggling to understand basic technological concepts like WiFi or smartphone filters, have brought the issue into the spotlight. These moments underscore a concerning gap in technological understanding among some of our representatives, which could have implications for their ability to effectively legislate in our increasingly digital world. In other words, if they can’t navigate the iOS 17 update on their IPhones, how can they rule on issues that concern it?

Not only does an aging Congress pose a problem as technologies advance, but there arises an issue with the mental fitness of our nation’s leaders—especially in times of crisis. 

If the police force or the medical field consisted of so many gray hairs, we would be worried. Could you imagine a group of 80-year-old police officers trying to do their job? The public would immediat

Americans don’t think twice about the geriatric state of most political candidates.

— Sidra Major

ely want to bring in younger replacements to instill public safety and efficiency. Politicians should not be an exception.

Considering the current Israel-Palestine conflict, our government leaders are responsible for making life-and-death decisions for those on the other side of the world. The weapons and medical supplies that America sends can directly change the course of the war; there is absolutely no room for a lack of mental acuity due to age when it comes to the fates of human life.  

Our nation’s leadership ought to reflect the diverse and dynamic landscape, ensuring each generation’s voice is proportionately heard. We need young leaders who have lived in current America and consider the values the youngest generations hold. It is time to rethink the status quo and rebuild a government that is better knowledgeable and equipped for the challenges that lie ahead.