The food: A grand platter of Super Bowl foods, consisting of queso, wings, corn dogs, mozzarella sticks, chips and salsa, in a clockwise direction.
Alison Booth

Touchdown Taste

Unveiling the top Super Bowl snacks

The excitement of a win. The disappointment of a loss. But regardless of what happens on Super Bowl Sunday, the game wouldn’t be possible without one factor. It’s not the players, and it’s not the referees. It’s the food. 

The Globe’s student reporters set out to discover what makes a Super Bowl party from good to unforgettable. We recognized that the student body is known for its school spirit and festive gatherings, so we turned to them for insights. Our survey revealed some mouth-watering statistics about preferred game day snacks. While unique family traditions peppered the responses, common threads depicted the ultimate Super Bowl feast. Here’s how we crafted the perfect party platter based on your favorites.

We found that 66% of students watch the big game at someone’s house, whether on their own, a friend’s or a family member’s. They watch with pets, friends and family. 

The school’s football fans have many traditions and superstitions they participate in beforehand. The most popular is wearing the team’s colors that people are cheering for, participating in pre-game score predictions and betting. People also like to play football with their friends before, during and after their party. 

Our team crafted the four most popular items, as voted on by the students, to taste-test their favorites. Mozzarella sticks, chips and dip, wings and corn dogs. A special shout-out to the classic Super Bowl cupcakes, another popular item that we could not try. 

The mozzarella sticks were the most disappointing item on the menu at $1.59 for a pack of six. Despite the promise of high calcium content emblazoned on the Snapps Mozzarella Sticks packaging, the cheese pull was underwhelming, falling short of the tantalizing spectacle one anticipates. The breading, rather than the expected golden and crisp exterior, was soggy and bland, making the dipping sauce an enhancement and a necessity. On the upside, their minimal preparation was a significant advantage, offering a quick snack option. Furthermore, their convenience is undeniable, allowing for effortless munching during an intense game.

Eight point seven percent of students enjoy pigs in a blanket, which was disappointingly missing from our local freezer aisle, leading us to opt for Foster Farms Mini Chicken Corn Dogs at $12.99 for 40 as an alternative. They emerged with a satisfyingly crisper texture when prepared in the air fryer alongside the mozzarella sticks, as recommended by the Foster Farms packaging. Like the mozzarella sticks, these were best enjoyed with a dipping sauce, in this case, honey mustard. The sauces increase the complexity of the flavors while making the food items adaptable for each partygoer’s palette. Additionally, they proved convenient for on-the-go snacking during game reenactments to celebrate close plays and decipher calls by the referees.

Chicken wings were coming in a close second and the second most popular food item by a 4.6% margin. We sampled three different chicken wings: original, sweet and sour and spicy. Overall, these had the most prep work and cooled down quickly, so plan accordingly. From seasoning and breading to preparing sauces and frying, purchasing prepared wings from a local restaurant may be the best option. Nonetheless, grocery store wings may be a more cost-effective option. The grease and bones make them a more difficult item to consume while watching the game. Consider boneless wings or chicken nuggets to alleviate this issue. On top of that, this was the most costly item at $10 for six because of its relative freshness.

The worst flavor of wings was classic fried. Although traditional, they lacked an interesting flavor and could use a sauce such as honey mustard to enhance their flavor complexity beyond the breading. However, if you want moderate nutritional value on your Super Bowl platter, this is the best place to find it, as it is the least processed food.

The sweet and sour wings came second in the wing ranking. These were covered in a sauce that offered greater flavor; however, the increased mess took away from the already limited ease of party consumption. The sauce transfers onto one’s fingers during consumption, necessitating a napkin to alleviate the issue. The wings you should serve at your party are spicy. These offered the most flavor with complexity that the plain fried wings lacked, the best crispy and crunchy texture and the least mess of the wings sampled.

Chips and dip remained the undisputed champions in our taste test, a sentiment echoed by students’ preferences. This duo’s simplicity and minimal preparation make it an essential feature of any Super Bowl party. While the queso dip tended to solidify rather quickly, its thick consistency ensured it stayed neatly on the chips. However, it was salsa that took the crown. With its rich layers of flavor and time-honored appeal, salsa stood out as long as it was served carefully to avoid spills. Its fresh, zesty taste elevates even the simplest of chips, making it the top choice for game day gatherings.

As anticipation builds for the big game, the question remains: Who is expected to triumph? In local opinion, the regional team, the Chiefs, are the favorite, commanding 39.4% of the vote—a testament to their strong fan base. The 49ers trail behind at 8%, with the Dolphins close on their heels at 7%. This overwhelming support for the Chiefs shows their status as a local favorite, but as any seasoned sports fan knows, the outcome on game day can defy even the most confident predictions.