Ground Zero Mosque PRO

Tolerance.  As Americans, we have long prided ourselves on our tolerance of others—their cultures, sensibilities, opinions, and perhaps most importantly, their religious views.  However, the debate over the construction of a mosque near the site of the World Trade Center is threatening the distinctly American value of tolerance.

The mosque is to be built within a community center near the site of the terrorist attacks in New York City on September 11th, 2001.  The Cordoba Initiative has proposed this project, not to disrespect the hallowed ground of the World Trade Centers, but to attempt to rise from those ashes.  According to their website, the Cordoba Initiative (CI) is a group committed to building relations between the Muslim and non-Muslim communities.

“On a day when American Muslim leaders stand strongly in favor of protecting civil rights, and denouncing bigotry in all forms, it is important to remember that world-wide efforts to foster peace must begin in our home communities,” CI Chairman Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf said.  Tolerance in the small communities of our country must come before we can achieve tolerance on a worldwide scale.

The debate over the Park51 community center has indeed been heated.  Sides have been chosen: those who oppose the construction have been labeled reactionaries and bigots.  Those who support it have been condemned for their lack of sensitivity to the 3000 lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001.  These polarized, exaggerated responses do not reflect the tolerance needed in today’s volatile political climate, especially with regard to relations between religious groups.

The members of the Cordoba Initiative are completely within their rights to build a mosque wherever they please.  The Constitution applies to all American citizens, regardless of religious leaning.

“This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable,” President Obama said, in a statement about the mosque a few weeks ago.  The President, although he has not stated support for or opposition to the Cordoba Initiative’s project, left no doubt as to his opinion on the legality of their actions.  The law is not what has caused the debate; rather, the question of morality and motive is at the base of the conflict.

Some would say that building a mosque near Ground Zero would be disrespectful to the memories of those who perished during the terrorist attacks.  As Americans, we will all remember Sept. 11 as a tragic day in our history.  But it was a tragic day for all Americans, and of course, that includes Americans who are Muslims.  Members of New York’s Muslim community also died in those attacks.  Muslims were among those who mourned after the towers fell.  And Muslims are among those who have tried to rebuild a shaken city in the aftermath of that devastating event.  It would be disrespectful to these people, these committed and patriotic Americans, not to allow them to worship as they please, whether it is 20 feet or 20 miles from Ground Zero.

The American right to religious freedom is not at stake here.  In fact, this entire situation has been blown out of proportion.  However, that does not mean that it should be ignored.  Any lapse in the protection of the First Amendment should be seriously scrutinized, and duly justified.  This is not a case to justify ignoring those inalienable rights.

Some will accuse the Cordoba Initiative of using the mosque to make a point or advance some political agenda.  I would hope that this is not the case.  I would hope that their wish to build a mosque is borne of an innocent desire to worship God according to their religion.  I am not certain that that is the case.  However, I refuse to assume that their motives are ulterior.  I refuse to judge them unfairly or to believe that they are not well-intentioned.  Some may call me naïve, but I contend that trust is essential to a respectful coexistence.

Some argue that the construction of a mosque is not an action intended to pacify relations between Muslims and non-Muslims, but that it is intended to further exacerbate the issue.  But in order to recover from the tragedy of 9/11, a happy medium among all groups must be reached.  Peaceful relations must be negotiated.  Tolerance must be retained.  How are we to fully recover, to forgive one another, to stop casting blame and stereotyping, if we cannot overcome a simple disagreement over a community center?  The time has come to take a step back and evaluate our morals.  We cannot, in good conscience, refuse to extend the hand of friendship to a group who are as much Americans as you or I.

In a recent statement, Imam Rauf said that he and his colleagues wanted to be “part of the solution,” not part of the problem.  But he and the rest of the moderate Muslim community cannot fix the problem themselves; this must be a two-way street.  The rest of the nation must rise to the occasion and cooperate so that we can all make our own peace.  Who are we to deny ourselves that chance?

The building of the Park51 community center is just the right opportunity for us to begin moving forward.  When we transcend the petty arguments and differences that have held us back, we will show the world a nation united against terrorism. We must move past the stigma surrounding Islam and resolve our differences; to do otherwise would be a discredit to those who lost their lives because of the extremist actions of religious fanatics.  Regardless of what other nations do, whether they agree to follow in our footsteps, is not of any concern.  One American characteristic I am proud of is that we serve as a model for other nations; we know that the right decision is not always the easy decision.  There will never be an easy time to take these first steps towards unity.  Whether or not our nation is ready, or ever will be ready, now is always the time to do what is right.

When this mosque is built—and I hope it will be built—it will be a sign to others that we intend to close the gaps that divide us, to focus on the respect we have for our nation and all its citizens, and to continue to grow as a strong, durable nation.