Cupcake dreams come true

These days, “dream come true” is generally an expression only. But for Cbabi and Reine Bayoc, owners of the St. Louis-exclusive bakeshop Sweet Art, it’s reality.

“Me and my wife originally got this place because it was a space we could share,” Cbabi Bayoc said. “She was cooking and I was making a living as an artist.”

Inside the shop one can find both: ahead, a glass case of baked goodies awaits, while the walls are adorned with Cbabi’s latest paintings. Wild and whimsical, they frequently feature his favorite motifs of trees, leaves, and birds, the style influenced by Cbabi’s past as a caricature artist.

Sweet Art, which can be found off Grand Avenue on 2203 South 39th Street, gets a steady stream of business, especially on Saturday mornings, which I witnessed firsthand. Despite being slightly confusing to find, and hard to get to, what with the bridge off Grand being closed, a trip to the bakeshop is well worth it, something its patrons know well.

The Bayocs pride themselves on offering real homemade baking, made with the simple recipe of “butter, sugar, eggs, time, and love.” Sweet Art’s cupcakes, which follow this philosophy exactly, are the main feature, and for good reason. My particular favorite was the “Chocolate Comfort,” very simple and very aptly named. All across the shop, the others seemed to agree as well.

From the start of their names, the Bayocs are unique. Cbabi Bayoc’s name is something he came up with himself, to stand, like their shop, for what he believes in. “Cbabi” is an acronym for “creative black artist battling ignorance” while “Bayoc” stands for “blessed African youth of creativity.” It is not very surprising, then, that the Bayocs opened Sweet Art in December 2008 so that they could “follow their dreams”.

A few months after Sweet Art’s initial opening three years ago, the Bayocs expanded beyond their bakery wares and added a lunch menu, from which I sampled the Klein, an excellent ‘grown-up’ rendering of the classic grilled cheese completed with mushrooms and sundried tomatoes, and a special: the “Vegan Bahn Mi,” a fresh roll piled with seitan, cucumber, carrots, and cilantro. Both were delicious.

It’s something to note that Sweet Art offers a decent array of vegan food, like the soup of the day, though, Cbabi added, the main pull of the bakeshop is still the classic eggs-flour-butter goodness that hearkens back to one’s childhood.

However, the showstopper—besides the excellent baked goods—was the quiche, which was creamy, almost melting in the mouth, held together by a thick, homemade biscuit crust. Besides an exquisite quiche du jour, depending on the day, there might also be a savory pie. Sadly, there wasn’t any that Saturday, but some of their favorites range from spanikopita to taco pie.

Sweet Art is generally open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturdays. Being an establishment that serves exclusively homemade foods, Reine will typically wake up at 4 a.m. and bake for the entire day; Sweet Art is careful to add an alternate closing time: “Or until sold out.”

Considering the amount of business it gets despite its not-so-obvious location, such a scenario is entirely possible.

The baked goods, though, are not the only selling point. Canvasses ranging from a few square inches to feet by several feet adorn the walls in a range of jewel tones. Each and every one was gorgeous and unique. Cbabi’s artwork on the walls is all for sale, and though the larger pieces, he said, don’t sell too often, the smaller ones do.

On the walls was a collection of tiny canvasses, mere inches in width and length. Each featured a sole bird motif.

“Those little birds sell all the time,” Cbabi said.

I could see why.

And as business thronged in and out, the place itself seemed to thrive with their company. It is wonderful to see a place so built on the dreams of its owners get so much response, and that following one’s dreams really can pay off, in the Bayocs’ case.

“I always say, even if it’s hard work, people should do what they’re passionate about,” Cbabi said. “Do what you love to do. If you love it, live it.”