Haley Wartman: Athlete of the Month

Hard working and passionate are two words that encompass lacrosse varsity player Haley Wartman. Wartman is expected to have an outstanding season as both an individual player and one of the leaders for the lacrosse team.
“Haley is a natural born lacrosse player,” teammate Jasmine Respess said. “She has a lot of talent and is always willing to help other girls on the team.”
Wartman has only started playing lacrosse since her freshman year, but her talent and passion for lacrosse has pushed her to become one of the stronger players on the team. Perhaps one reason for this is the amount of dedication Wartman puts into lacrosse, including outside of school.
“Over the summer, I went to a lacrosse camp and played a lot of lacrosse to improve for the season,” Wartman said. “I feel like this is definitely my best season.”
Respess also agrees on the high level of dedication that Wartman commits to.
“Haley constantly works hard on the field and spends time outside of practice to improve, always thinking about the team,” Respess said.
Over the last couple of years, Wartman has developed a strong lacrosse game and plays the position of defensive mid, where she plays on both offense and defense. When asked what drives her to put in maximum effort into lacrosse, Wartman says it is about the feeling of accomplishment from the win.
“I like to win as a team because it feels like a great accomplishment,” Wartman said. “It just feels good because you know that you worked hard and that the whole team worked hard together.”
Not only does Wartman’s hard work contribute to the team individually, but it also impels teammates to work just as hard.
“Whenever I see Haley play lacrosse, it motivates me to work just as hard.” Respess said. “Haley never gives up and it makes the whole team want to do just the same.”