Monet meets the art museum: The long-anticipated exhibition of Claude Monet’s Water Lilies is finally open

The new special exhibit at the St. Louis Art Museum is entirely devoted to French Impressionist Claude Monet. Five magnificent oil paintings, including one of his most famous works, are currently on display in Monet’s Water Lilies.
Given Monet’s status as a giant in the world of art, St. Louis has certainly been blessed to receive such famous works.
Inspired by his home garden in Giverny, France, Monet painted what is perhaps his most famous work: Agapanthus. He painted this triptych – or a set of three paintings – over the course of several years. Agapanthus is the main feature of the display. The triptych features reflections from Monet’s garden and, of course, his famous water lilies.
In Agapanthus, his use of color is absolutely incredible. Monet uses bright red paint to outline the lily pads, among many other unusual choices, but he combines colors in such a way that is genuinely pleasing to the eye.
Other paintings, including Water Lilies, Harmony in Blue, also showcase Monet’s genius. Monet’s intense brushstrokes can clearly be observed in the oil paintings. Each one is deliberate, but, at the same time, Monet’s strokes seem to be somewhat spontaneous, which further adds to the grandeur of his artistry.

This masterpiece is finally presented as the artist intended for the first time in more than 30 years – together and connected as one, instead of each third of the painting separated at different art museums.
The Monet exhibit will be on display through Jan. 22, 2012.

(Ellen Creager/Detroit Free Press/MCT)
(Ellen Creager/Detroit Free Press/MCT)