Over and Out

Tony La Russa has managed three World Series champion teams. He has 2,728 wins and a .536 winning percentage. He has won six pennants and is one of only two managers to have a World Series title in both the American and National Leagues. And today, at a 9 a.m. news conference, La Russa announced his retirement from the sport of baseball.

Whether you loved him or hated him, it is hard to dispute La Russa’s knowledge of baseball. His constant pitching changes drove people crazy, but others loved his intensity.

“I felt that this just feels like it’s time to end it,” La Russa said during the conference. This year marked the Cardinals’ 11th World Series championship and La Russa’s third.

Without La Russa, the next obvious question is “Who is next?” The Cardinals could go with a well known manager such as Terry Francona, formerly of the Red Sox, or they could stay inside their staff and hire Jose Oquendo, the current third base coach. There are many choices and it will be interesting to see how the Cardinals organization decides to replace one of the greatest managers in the history of baseball.

(Photo: Robert Cohen/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/MCT)