Blues New Coach: Ken Hitchcock

The St. Louis Blues changed coaches on Nov. 6 after playing only 13 games. Replacing Davis Payne is Ken Hitchcock, a veteran coach who has won the Stanley Cup and had more than 1,000 games of coaching experience. Hitchcock believes that the Blues have the potential to become a play-off team and declared that he knows how to get the most out of the players.

Hitchcock has such a keen acumen for hockey that he feels as if he sees games develop in slow motion. Hitchcock began his career coaching in the NHL as an assistant coach for the Philadelphia Flyers in 1990, and he spent three seasons with the Flyers.

In January of 1996, Hitchcock became the head coach of the Dallas Stars. During his first two full seasons with the Stars, he took them to the playoffs. In 1998-1999, Hitchcock won a Stanley Cup Championship with the Stars, and in 2000, he took them to the Stanley Cup Finals.

After the Dallas Stars dismissed him in 2002, Hitchcock had three successful seasons as coach of the Philadelphia Flyers, taking them to the playoffs three years. In 2008-2009, as coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets, he took the team to its only playoff appearance in team history.

Hitchcock has mentored offensive players like Brett Hull and Mike Modano, teaching them that there are defensive opportunities for forwards as well. Brett Hull stated that although his point production decreased, he was happy when he saw the wins starting to pile up. Hull considers Hitchcock to be an excellent strategist, who is good “with the X’s and O’s”.

Hitchcock’s coaching philosophy is to work his players hard, to have them play a tight defensive system, and to wear the opposing team down until you “break them”. The Blues are off to a 14-9-3 start under Hitchcock, and they look forward to benefitting from his expertise.

(Photo: Zia Nizami/Belleville News-Democrat/MCT)