Iconic, Controversial Coach Passes Away

Former Penn State head coach Joe Paterno, seen in this 2007 file photo, died Sunday, January 22, 2012. He was 85. (Barbara L. Johnston/Philadelphia Inquirer/MCT)

Joe Paterno, former Penn State head football coach, has died at age 85.

Paterno, who was relieved of his duties at Penn State in the middle of the college football season, won 409 games as the Nittany Lion’s head coach. He was their head coach for 46 years.

He is also remembered as a great person, not just a historic coach.

Paterno will also be remembered for not so pleasant news. Paterno’s former defensive coordinater, Jerry Sandusky, has been accused of sexual harassment on young boys.

Penn State’s head coach was supposedly told of the incidents, then told the university athletic director. Whatever actually happened in this awful turn of events is still unknown, but it should not tarnish Paterno’s memory.

Despite mistakes, Paterno was a good man. He was well respected, loved by his players, and never gave up. Though these events are awful, we must remember that Paterno did not have a direct hand in what was happening. Yes, he should have done more. He did tell his boss, though, which at the time he felt would take care of the issue.

We all make mistakes, and he was no different. His was a big one, and amplified because of his high ranking position, but it can not take away from all the good he did.

Many have weighed in on his death, including high ranking people outside the world of sports.

“I was deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Joe Paterno,” President George H. W. Bush said in a statement. “He was an outstanding American who was respected not only on the field of play but in life generally — and he was, without a doubt, a true icon in the world of sports.”

The Paterno family has released a statement on his death, which came after a two month battle with lung cancer.

“He fought hard until the end, stayed positive, thought only of others and constantly reminded everyone of how blessed his life had been,” the statement said. “His ambitions were far reaching, but he never believed he had to leave this Happy Valley to achieve them. He was a man devoted to his family, his university, his players and his community.”

Source: ESPN.com