The Last Buzzer

The Boys’ Basketball team gathers before a regular season game against Ladue. Photo by Anna Difelice

Also By Jake Bernstein

It is a tough time of year for the basketball program. After four years of sweat, blood, and tears, the senior basketball players have to walk off the Stuber gym court for the last time as a Greyhound basketball players.

This year, four great senior basketball players are leaving CHS, along with many other of their teammates. Charlie Harned, Clayton Buchanan, Stephanie Avery and Haley Wartman will all be departing.

“It’s always the worst. I tear up every year,” said varsity head coach Ryan Luhning.

Though it hurts to lose such great players, it is also a time to remember great careers.

Harned and Buchanan both consider the basketball team’s district championship last year to be a great memory from their time at CHS. “It was a fun, close game,” Harned said.

These athletes not only take pride in their work on the court, but also in what they do when the ball isn’t in their hands. Harned spends time helping out as a counselor for young basketball players and Wartman has coached an 8th grade team.

Reeves Oyster, now a freshman junior varsity player, was on the 8th grade team that Wartman coached and credits Wartman with helping her get involved with activities in high school. “She’s always made me work on my weaknesses, and because she was an older, more experienced basketball player, it motivated me to work hard and play hard,” Oyster said.

Buchanan stressed the importance of being a good student in the classroom, so basketball can be played when the school day is over. “In making sure my head’s right in the classroom and getting all my stuff done…[so] I can play basketball,” he explained. “Coach Luhning keeps a high standard for us.”

Avery believes that her biggest impact on the basketball program were the influences she had on younger players. When she was a younger player, Avery was often not chosen as a partner by upperclassmen in practice. She channels these experiences to make sure she is a good captain for younger players.

“Now that I am a senior, all of my friends are on the team with me, and even though they are my friends, in partner activities, I don’t always pair with them,” Avery said. “I try and sometimes be with kids that I am not friends with just to make them more comfortable.”

Bob Bone, who has been the Athletic Director at CHS for six years, feels that these players have not only improved their basketball skills, but also have helped younger players greatly.

“All of our athletes do a great job working with our younger kids and showing them the right ways to do things. Not only on the floor, but off the floor,” Bone said. “The adjustments our younger kids have to make is made much easier by the direction and the help that our seniors give.”

Charlie Harned:

Charlie Harned has been a constant source of excitement for CHS athletics. Along with being a three year player on varsity basketball, he is also an all state soccer player.

“It’s not really about how talented you are, it’s about how hard you work,” he explained. “I am not a talented soccer player, but I worked hard and had two good years.”

Luhning, who has Harned’s varsity coach, compares his playing style to Phoenix Sun’s point guard Steve Nash. These abilities were apparent in a game against Wellston Harned’s sophomore year.

Once Wellston shooting guard Ben McLemore now plays on the nationally ranked Kansas Jayhawks.

“He made a move on Ben and went right to the basket and scored. It kind of catapulted us to a victory,” Luhning said.

Harned anticipates a bit of sadness after his last game, but realizes there are more sports in his future.

“It’s going to be real sad not playing basketball at Clayton anymore,” Harned said. “But there are college sports to look forward to.”

Clayton Buchanan:

Clayton Buchanan has come a long way since his freshman year. “Freshman year he was on the freshman team and now he is one of the best scorers in the state,” Harned said. “He has improved drastically, he has gotten a lot better.”

This season, in a game against Normandy, Buchanan managed to score an amazing 24 points in the second quarter. Coach Luhning, his coach for three years, compares him to Jaylen Rose.

“He really attacks the basket well, but also can shoot the jumper,” Luhning said.

Buchanan, who hopes to attend a college in Florida, feels his outside shooting and defense are the biggest impacts he has had on the program.

Buchanan said, “It has been fun these past four years.”

Haley Wartman

As the point guard on the girls’ team Haley Wartman credits her success to listening to coaches, and she recommends that younger players do the same.

“Listen to your coaches and pay attention because you can learn so much from them,” she said.

Wartman has had a lot of fine moments, she is most proud in the team’s growth. “We really have improved so much this year and its just amazing to see where we have come from and how far we have gotten.”

Teammate Stephanie Avery has had a long history with Wartman.

“I started playing with Haley in third or fourth grade so I have always loved playing with her,” Avery said.

About her career at CHS, Wartman said, “Its been such a great experience playing at CHS… We have improved a lot and it’s just really cool to be a part of it.”

Stephanie Avery:

Stephanie Avery isn’t always as tall as her opponents, but whatever lack of height she has, she makes up with effort and heart.

“You can see her desire out on the floor,” said Athletic Director Bob Bone. “She is physical and is normally playing against girls that are bigger then her. She keeps fighting.”

Avery is very pleased with her team, especially in how unique it is.

“Our team is such a diverse group of people that I don’t think would normally be associated with each other,” she said. “The fact that we are able to come together and be so successful… really says a lot about our school and it is just a great memory to have.”

“I try and feed her the ball whenever I can,” teammate Haley Wartman said.

Much of the girls’ team is seniors, so next year the Greyhounds will look quite a bit different than the current team. “I know that they will be able to get through and find a new way to play together.”

Ali Planells

Voted team MVP this season, Ali Planells was a workhorse on both the offensive and defensive ends of the floor.  She was a lead rebounder for the Hounds.

Planells called the Affton tournament her favorite high school basketball moment. The victory was the first girls’ tournament championship in 20 years.

Planells offered advice to fellow athletes.

“Enjoy it while you can, it doesn’t last long,” she said.

Additionally, she attributed the team’s rise to their work ethic and the enthusiasm from the coaching staff.

“I am going to miss it,” Planells said.

Farewell to: Clayton Buchanan, Charlie Harned, Jack Elliott, Jake Bernstein, Adam Newcomer, Briah Arms, Traci Walker, Haley Wartman, Stephanie Avery, Ali Planells.