Michael Rechan Athlete Profile

When sophomore Michael Rechan was playing competitive tennis in middle school, he was so upset with his play during a match that he threw his racket onto another court.

Emotions have been Rechan’s biggest weakness. He would become obsessed over one poor shot and it would ruin his mental focus.

After this incident, Rechan took six months off to work on his mentality towards the game. He now focuses on turning his emotions into a source of strength.

“I still get emotional during my matches, but now I feel as though my emotions are positive reinforcement instead of negative comments,” said Rechan. He has learned to use his good shots to pump him up and doesn’t let his poor shots discourage him. Being able to stay focused and control your emotions is one of the most difficult parts of any sport. And Rechan has been able to turn his mental game from his enemy to his ally.

Last year Rechan and the boy’s tennis team experienced much success. They finished 3rd in state as a team, Rechan placed 3rd in state singles and Joey Dulle and Jake Lee won state doubles. Rechan was happy with his 3rd place finish in state as a freshman, but this year he is hoping to reach the state finals. He should be able to achieve his goal as long as he is able to control his emotions and stay healthy.

Rechan has a solid all around game; he is able to place his serves well with different types of spins and speeds.

“Mac is unlike other tennis players because his backhand is more solid than his forehand. And it is a strength that Mac uses very well,” said teammate Joey Dulle. “He also has great footwork which makes him very difficult to beat because he is always in position.”

His quickness and consistency helps him tremendously during long rallies, as he is able to outlast most of his opponents.

Rechan is also very good at deciding when to take risks. He understands when to try to attack and finish the point, but he also understands sometimes he must rally and play defensively.

This decision making will be key in a season that has such high expectations.