Not a Normal Summer Job

Every other home game, Greg Ginos walks into the St. Louis Cardinal clubhouse. He greets familiar faces, smiles and jokes around with fellow workers. Then he begins his routine at a job that many young boys and girls can only dream of having: working as a bat boy of a Major League Baseball team.

Ginos, a CHS senior, applied for the job of St. Louis Cardinal bat boy, and made the list of finalists for the position. However, initially he was not selected. When another bat boy quit, the Cardinals chose Ginos to replace him.

The first two games Ginos worked, he trained with the other bat boy, who showed him how things were done. The clubhouse was daunting for him the first few days.

“The first time I was in the clubhouse it was really intimidating, because you are around some of the biggest stars in baseball. You just don’t want to mess up or make a mistake,” Ginos said.

However, after the first few games, Ginos realized that the clubhouse had a “loose atmosphere.”

As a bat boy of the St. Louis Cardinals, Ginos has many responsibilities, including memorizing every player’s number. He does this to keep players materials straight, since most players supplies are marked with only their number.

Each game he arrives four hours early. Before the Cardinals take the field, Ginos puts water jugs in both the bullpen and the dugout, along with sunflower seeds, bubblegum and sweat towels. When the ball players take batting practice, Ginos stays in the dugout, making sure all the players have what they need, and that people touring don’t play with equipment.

During the game, Ginos supplies the home plate umpire with balls. He picks up broken bats and makes sure every player has an extra bat handy.

After the last out, Ginos is charged with cleaning the dugout and bullpen. He rinses out coolers, hangs laundry and even cleans the coaches shoes. For a 7:15 game, Ginos is usually at the stadium until 12:45.

However hectic the job gets, Ginos is having the time of his life. “Being a bat boy for the Cardinals outweighs all the stress that comes with it,” he said.

Matthew Cendroski, the Cardinals’ Third Base field usher, said that Ginos always tries his hardest to make sure he does his job well.

“He always displays a positive attitude and puts forth his best effort, even when the weather is unsatisfactory and the team is struggling,” Cendroski said. “Most importantly, Greg loves his job and the game.”

Ginos also plays baseball, and is an outfielder for the varsity team at Clayton. By watching Major Leaguers play, Ginos says he has been inspired by their high level of performance and motivated to play at a higher level than ever before. Though he has had the opportunity, Ginos does not ask players or coaches for advice, because he feels they already have enough on their minds when they are preparing for the game.

Though the Cardinals are far back in the division race, Ginos remains confident that the Cardinals will make the playoffs, either by overtaking the Reds to win the division, or by winning the wild card.

One story Ginos will always remember is an embarrassing one. As he was racing into the dugout, he tripped in front of managers Mike Matheny and All Star third baseman David Freese. Freese and Matheny jokingly made fun of him about the fall.

During his time as bat boy, his favorite memory was when the Cardinals scored 12 runs in one inning against the rival Cubs. Overall though, Ginos simply cherishes the time he gets to spend around some of baseball’s greatest players.

Ginos says he talks to Yadier Molina the most out of all the players, and loves being able to converse with them as “real people”.

“I get payed to hang out with the Cardinals and love the game,” Ginos said. “How many people can say they’ve had a job like this?”