Clayton boys’ soccer advances to District final

Clayton advances to the District final after defeating MICDS 1-0.

Junior Will Hayes scored the game-winning goal just 64 seconds into the first overtime period to send the Hounds through. Senior Evan Green took the ball into the box and had a chance on goal, but his shot was blocked leaving the rebound for Hayes.

“The ball hit off the keeper, and I finished it into the left corner.” Hayes said.

The Hounds had the majority of ball possession during the second half, and had numerous chances. However, numerous attempts on goal were saved.

“Their keeper played phenomenally, but we just kept plugging and plugging and plugging until we finally got the goal,” head coach Matt Balossi said.

Senior goalkeeper Jack Harned played a superb game, but wasn’t forced to make many saves. However, an MICDS player slid past Harned and shot at an empty goal with six minutes left int the game. Junior Lucas Powers saved the potential game-winning goal from MICDS by sliding in at the last moment just before the shot entered the goal.

Clayton will face Westminster in the District championship on Thursday at Gay Field. Westminster beat Priory 2-1 in the other District semifinal. The Hounds lost to Westminster during the season in penalty kicks, but optimism is high.

“We played Westminster very well during the season,” Powers said. “This time is different though, and I’m confident we will pull out the victory and advance to the State playoffs.”